• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Firebox feasting ....,

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Who’d have thought you could cook a Fray Bentos pie in the firebox .... what a versatile piece of kit .... used some birch and then a couple of smokeless fuel pieces , worked a treat .....

ACF49179-EF01-4A20-BDF8-7073D48351C7.jpeg
294FA3CA-9DB1-4245-86B2-6F31079BA93B.jpeg
60A3F566-C4F5-49E4-8F98-D19BBFEC9E1C.jpeg
0B19FC65-CB92-4BC5-9AD9-3BF71834AC60.jpeg
F1242F2F-5FD7-4C14-A85F-D4913C1B8E26.jpeg
B254DB63-8F8A-48A2-9DF0-709BF26E9AFB.jpeg
C64249A3-9FEA-4722-B181-E447F9115D3A.jpeg

Brilliant, I've been wanting to try cooking Frey Bentos pies in some kind of bushcraft oven for a while now, haven't got round to it yet. The top looks a bit 'stodgy' which is a problem with them even in the cooker at home, did you manage to crisp the top up ??

Brilliant, I've been wanting to try cooking Frey Bentos pies in some kind of bushcraft oven for a while now, haven't got round to it yet. The top looks a bit 'stodgy' which is a problem with them even in the cooker at home, did you manage to crisp the top up ??
It was starting to crisp up but the smell made me hungry and I couldn’t wait .... I’m going to try another , seen a hack using bull dog clips on the lids to create a tighter seal, that may work better .... tasted as good as only a fray bentos can 🤔😁

These do seem more 'proper' rather than the Biolite gimmick.
I’ve seen @Bopdude ’s and it looks great , he didn’t get on with it and I think it’s cumbersome ... firebox works with any fuel source , provides cooking options , camp heat and bush TV , packs flat , slides easily into your pack , carry fuel or gather on site ... get the deluxe set and the cook set and you have all you need in one set up 👍
If you do Instagram check out firebox , it’s a great page , by the inventor I think , you should see what he can do .... amazing 🤩

These do seem more 'proper' rather than the Biolite gimmick.
The biolite is finicky about fuel and you have to load it from the top so it can interrupt cooking (both major drawbacks) but I have had good results with fuel like pine knots knocked off a tree trunk or small split pieces of wood without the bark. I've found it to be the least hassle to light of all my stoves and it will slowly charge pretty much any usb device. The cat litter pellet fuel doesn't allow enough air circulation so it creates excess smoke so I see no point in carrying the weight when it functions better on split twigs.
I've found that the Kelly kettle likes much the same kind of fuel to get optimum performance.
Biolite stoves are expensive new though, (isn't it all expensive?) perhaps too expensive considering what else is now on the market.

You've got me cogitating again Rob, my plan was to try it in a dutch oven. I've got a wee trivit thing I bought for them but haven't tested yet. Think I need to get the fire pit and dutch oven out for a play.

Without raising it a bit doesn't it effectively fry the meat at the base of the pie as opposed to baking it with the heat trapped in the pan (and minimal direct contact)

Ref the biolite; I think it’s a niche thing; a friend runs a canoe and kayak training company and he uses one on link trips as for him it multi tasks, cooking and ensuing stuff is charged. For an overnight trip he uses something else which suits his needs better.

Be worth adding some tin foil in the bottom half Rob.....save the washing up if the gravy spills out :)
A couple of cut down wire tent pegs might do to lift the pan off of the bottom :thumbsup:.....or you could drill some holes in the pan and slide them in?

The fire box does take some beating as an all rounder.......and for all the reasons you mentioned......that pie looked lovely :D

Reactions: Bam
Back