• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Firebox

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Going to be working with children in some forestry land where I’m restricted to raised fires which is clearly the perfect excuse to invest in some form of collapsible firebox.

Anyone got any recommendations?

They are reasonably priced and work very well.
I have drilled a few extra hole's in the side plates of mine.....and it has made a difference.
They offer a good cooking surface and provide a decent fire to sit around or dry kit. :thumbsup:
It is worth giving them a good clean and a spray with WD40 after use and before storage.

I would look for something larger, a bowl on legs, made for barbecues, with a tripod.

There you can light a real fire in an prepare a soup for the group.

You get them in different prices and qualities.

But of course you can cut an old barrel too, 10 cm high, and put it on some stones or bricks. That works fine too, and its so cheap, that you could let it simply hidden in the forest.

The item we are talking about Erb is more of a packable choice :thumbsup:
For its size, it offers a lot......and can be easily moved if the wind changes or you want to relocate it.
Always good to remember that the bigger the fire the more effort and wood it takes to keep it ticking over.
Also better to have a small fire and sit closer......rather than have a blaze and sit 6/8 feet away :thumbsup::rofl:
Much better for stealth camping too.

Which is a tad annoying as I’ve just bought one from somewhere else for £16.

Ho hum.

Still, a good price at that 38...........when you're sat by it enjoying its warmth the price will fade away into the distance and be forgotten :D:thumbsup:

I need it to be easily portable as I’m only on the site for 2-3 hours at a time and need to leave relatively no trace - hence the fire off the ground.

I find that as soon as a fire is lit the kids want to do is watch it, getting them to sit around it isn’t an issue.

Back