• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

First Aid kits.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Having a rummage around in the kit this morning and remembered I need to update/renew my First Aid Kit.
The one I have is getting on a bit now.

What do you guys carry.....do you make additions to a standard kit?

Got a few of varying sizes from basic plaster kit up to a mountain leader standard kit , usually add a few items to supplement , blister plasters , zinc oxide tape , diorylyte , Imodium , first field dressing , sometimes a few pain killers …...

Good timing..I'm awaiting the arrival of a few items from these people.. SP Services UK First Aid Supplies & Medical Equipment
nothing too dramatic, just small dressings and plasters and some burn gell/dressings.

I don't carry headache pills or any medication which does not kick in almost immediately, at least not unless I'm going on a multi day trip. Most pills and potions don't become fully operational in the system for a few hours, by which time I can be home. No harm in carrying them, but I like to keep my First Aid Kit minimal.

My particular approach is to carry something to deal with a major bleed, in my case I use MOD Field Dressings, something for minor cuts, civvy plasters for small cuts and blisters and things like Steri wipes. I carry Tick Tweezers and following some good advice a little plastic bag to preserve the Tick, should I capture one. I've ordered some renewals from the above firm as most of my kit was issued to me just before we sorted the Frogs out at Agincourt.

Good timing..I'm awaiting the arrival of a few items from these people.. SP Services UK First Aid Supplies & Medical Equipment
nothing too dramatic, just small dressings and plasters and some burn gell/dressings.

I don't carry headache pills or any medication which does not kick in almost immediately, at least not unless I'm going on a multi day trip. Most pills and potions don't become fully operational in the system for a few hours, by which time I can be home. No harm in carrying them, but I like to keep my First Aid Kit minimal.

My particular approach is to carry something to deal with a major bleed, in my case I use MOD Field Dressings, something for minor cuts, civvy plasters for small cuts and blisters and things like Steri wipes. I carry Tick Tweezers and following some good advice a little plastic bag to preserve the Tick, should I capture one. I've ordered some renewals from the above firm as most of my kit was issued to me just before we sorted the Frogs out at Agincourt.

Good point about the painkillers Sax 👍

Although thousands of them have been used the MOD replaced the previous FFD (the big pad with a long bandage) with a new Israeli compression bandage which is far superior. the original FFD tended to absorb a lot of blood rather than causing wound closure and clotting whereas the new dressing is much more effective at actually stopping the bleed; it’s also much easier to put on yourself one handed if required!

That's true 38, things have certainly been improved. I've got 2 of these on the way. Didn't go for the full on Israeli job, but I'm told these are pretty effective.

They have a good absorbancy rate and the bandage applies pressure and fixes with velco, so one handed application is possible...so that I can look for my fingers..they're in the bushes here somewhere I think..
anim_61.gif

Attachments

• anim_61.gif
    anim_61.gif
    598 bytes · Views: 25
Last edited:
Having a rummage around in the kit this morning and remembered I need to update/renew my First Aid Kit.
The one I have is getting on a bit now.

What do you guys carry.....do you make additions to a standard kit?
Apart from the standard bit and pieces I carry extra triangulars, cotton buds clove oil (for tooth ache) and spray on elastoplast and some cling film for use as burn dressings

basics plus tic tweezers -- good idea about the baggy Sax, steri-strips for wounds that could normally use a stitch or two, and a goodly bit of that stretchy fabric tape 'cause that's duct tape for when your red bean juice won't stay put. recently been advised to add a tourniquet which sounds like a reasonably good idea. i've got some serious painkillers left over from a bike accident a while back and those recently got tossed in too.

The bike is washed and tucked up after a 30 mile damp/muddy road run, so time to take a photo or two.

Small plastic lunch ( Prefer a box, rather than a soft bag because it will hold water to pour onto and irrigate a dirty wound.

DSC00212.jpg

Big FFD goes in jacket pocket, the rest in the lunch box.

DSC00213.jpg

Small FFD lives in the box, big FFD in a right side jacket pocket ( anything nasty will probably be to left hand as I'm right handed)...
Second row..Sterile wound wash (liquid sachet)..Medic Tweezers on black case..Tick removal tool..selection of various wound cleaning wipes....Plasters cuts and blisters.
The green strip on the left is the sealing strip of a plastic bag which doesn't show too well in the photo.....steel mirror for facial/difficult to see wounds....Large adhesive sterile dressing pad.

That's it for my day sack, I add a few items for a longer trip, usually something like Savlon antiseptic Cream, Mossie bite ointment etc: In the past I've always just poured water over burns but my old mate ex Medic, enlightened me ( in an extremely rude verbal manner) to join the modern era and get some burn dressings, which are in the post..No, not this post..the GPO...
confused0062.gif

Attachments

• DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00213.jpg
    DSC00213.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 15
  • confused0062.gif
    confused0062.gif
    249 bytes · Views: 25
This is the current bandage:

in terms of F Aid kits I have a variety depending on what I’m doing.

For working with children I have a comprehensive St John’s ambulance sports pack and burns kit that very rarely gets opened; I tend to mostly use a cheap Aldi travel kit that is crammed full of plasters and the tweezers on my SAK!

for my motorbike/mountain bike I have a smaller kit that still has a range of bandages, plasters and ointments. I do carry paracetamol and ibuprofen as they as drugs work on cumulative doses, the earlier you take it the quicker your body reaches the required levels to start healing. I’ve broken bones and been grateful of the edge being taken off by a simple paracetamol!

I also carry aspirin and it’s still believed that it’s blood thinning effect MAY save a life in the case of heart attacks (which is worth knowing considering how old you all are😝)
I then have a comprehensive kit in my car as well !

The bike is washed and tucked up after a 30 mile damp/muddy road run, so time to take a photo or two.

Small plastic lunch ( Prefer a box, rather than a soft bag because it will hold water to pour onto and irrigate a dirty wound.

DSC00212.jpg

Big FFD goes in jacket pocket, the rest in the lunch box.

DSC00213.jpg

Small FFD lives in the box, big FFD in a right side jacket pocket ( anything nasty will probably be to left hand as I'm right handed)...
Second row..Sterile wound wash (liquid sachet)..Medic Tweezers on black case..Tick removal tool..selection of various wound cleaning wipes....Plasters cuts and blisters.
The green strip on the left is the sealing strip of a plastic bag which doesn't show too well in the photo.....steel mirror for facial/difficult to see wounds....Large adhesive sterile dressing pad.

That's it for my day sack, I add a few items for a longer trip, usually something like Savlon antiseptic Cream, Mossie bite ointment etc: In the past I've always just poured water over burns but my old mate ex Medic, enlightened me ( in an extremely rude verbal manner) to join the modern era and get some burn dressings, which are in the post..No, not this post..the GPO...
confused0062.gif
Failing proper burn dressing Sax take cling film, two of the biggest problems with burns are the risk of infection and the pain causes when the burn is exposed to air. Cling film can alleviate both those things

Attachments

• confused0062.gif
    confused0062.gif
    249 bytes · Views: 18
  • DSC00213.jpg
    DSC00213.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 21
One in the car that hold’s field dressings plasters, burn kit, survival blankets, scissors etc

one I’m my fishing bag, small with only normal plasters and a little set of pliers for the occasional self hooked finger lol

one in my day pack that gets passed between my overnight bag ( yes yes sometimes I do stay over😁) burn kit, painkillers, knife, survival blankets, field dressing, eye wash, hand sanitiser, plasters, safety pins, curved needle and thread, and 2 vampires teabags 👍🏻

One in the house thats the size of a small suitcase lol......full of just about everything

I am also considering a sawn off 12 bore in my kit, but only when I go to the spare room. I went to put my FAK back in my Day sack and there was Terry the Tarantula waiting to pounce...
scared0008.gif
...Went downstairs, got the camera, put the SAK down for scale and he posed, then sauntered off !!

DSCF6542.jpg

DSCF6544.jpg

Attachments

• scared0008.gif
    scared0008.gif
    8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6542.jpg
    DSCF6542.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF6544.jpg
    DSCF6544.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 18
I am also considering a sawn off 12 bore in my kit, but only when I go to the spare room. I went to put my FAK back in my Day sack and there was Terry the Tarantula waiting to pounce...
scared0008.gif
...Went downstairs, got the camera, put the SAK down for scale and he posed, then sauntered off !!

DSCF6542.jpg

DSCF6544.jpg
Horrible but harmless

Attachments

• scared0008.gif
    scared0008.gif
    8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF6542.jpg
    DSCF6542.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6544.jpg
    DSCF6544.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 17
Depends what I'm doing.
I have a little boo-boo pack for my work bag, that has half a pharmacy as well.

My fishing first aid kit has the usual fare plus antihistamine pills and cream, a small pair of forceps and iodine dressings and some saline pods.

My outdoor pack has more. Of Everything. It also has blister plasters, burn gel, tick tool, streri strips, wound pads, conforming and cohesive bandages, antiseptic creams and the other half of the pharmacy that couldn't fit in the work bag.:D
I also have nail clippers, scissors and tweezers in all of the kits.

....... and 2 vampires teabags 👍🏻

I’m assuming you’re referring to feminine hygiene products; due to the prevailing legend of them being useful in battlefield first aid the MOD actually did some testing; as wound dressings they are next to useless as they are designed to absorb rather than congeal liquids (which would be unhealthy in their intended purpose), it’s one of the reasons for the change in design of FFD.

I’m assuming you’re referring to feminine hygiene products; due to the prevailing legend of them being useful in battlefield first aid the MOD actually did some testing; as wound dressings they are next to useless as they are designed to absorb rather than congeal liquids (which would be unhealthy in their intended purpose), it’s one of the reasons for the change in design of FFD.

Yes I was 38 lol👍🏻 Better to have and not need, however I think you’ve made a great point , I will have a look into the Israeli bandages 👍🏻

Back