• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

First Aid kits.

Yes I was 38 lol👍🏻 Better to have and not need, however I think you’ve made a great point , I will have a look into the Israeli bandages 👍🏻
The 'Vampires bagmeals' do make good firelighters though Mark, I keep some in my fire kit.

I'll break out my normal FAK tomorrow and hopefully be able to post a phot or two. I'm quite proud of it to cover most situations but I'm not an expert so more than happy for it to be critiqued.

A lot of us used to make our own personal para bags up from SP supplies....they can be a bit pricey. Most bits can be picked up over the counter save defibs and chest drains and cannulas.................

Needless to say, I make my own up as needs may suggest. Plaster , pins, bandage or two, burns dressing...covers most things unless I'm off up the Appalachian trail.................

Whether aspirin, paracetamol, nurofen or whatever...each has a specific use/benefit/application. Paracetamol is also an excellent anti inflammatory, which in "our" situations, maybe significant?

Stating the obvious but First aid kits are only really as good as the knowledge that is behind their use; St Johns Ambulance are a great source of equipment and knowledge. Considering someone may be using your 1st Aid Kit on you maybe worth giving them a helping hand, a free guide is available at the following link: Get Advice

Loads of other information on the website including refresher guides on CPR, Broken bones, bleeding and the use of Defibs to name a few.

Stating the obvious but First aid kits are only really as good as the knowledge that is behind their use; St Johns Ambulance are a great source of equipment and knowledge. Considering someone may be using your 1st Aid Kit on you maybe worth giving them a helping hand, a free guide is available at the following link: Get Advice

Loads of other information on the website including refresher guides on CPR, Broken bones, bleeding and the use of Defibs to name a few.

Excellent guide that ….. :thumbsup:

Going to resurrect this topic, one very close to my heart.

First things first.......Do a regulated EFAW FA course, make sure it includes Catastrophic Bleeding and the +F (Forrestry) add on. Not all training providers do this, so ask when booking, if they say they don’t do Cat Bleed or +F, go to another training provider. Good ones will.

Part of that training will, or certainly should, include putting together your FAK. In a nutshell, your kit should be relevant to the activity your doing, and where you are doing it, for instance, an arborist FAK would be significant different to someone working at a computer screen in an office environment. So, and your gonna like this, the vast majority of FAK you can buy off the shelf........Are a total waste of time, and money!

Get yourself a suitable container, your choice, and populate it with what YOU need for what YOUR doing. Whatever the container is, it should be marked “First Aid” and let others know you have a kit, and where it is.

I really liked the kit Paul Kirtley put together, for example, don’t bother with scissors, a waste of time. You MUST have a decent pair of Tough Cut Shears in any kit, as he did. You must also have a whistle, gloves and a small torch, the rest is up to you!

Do you use sharp tools.
Do you use fire or heat.
Do you walk over uneven ground.
Do you expose yourself to a cold or hot environment.
Do you, do you, do you...........Make sure you can mitigate for any injury you can get, doing what you do. Its a lot easier than you think.

You do not have to be medically trained to make a good First Aider, far from it, knowing the basics can get you and others out of trouble.

Should add that I was the one who needed First Aid last weekend, laying out cold and bleeding like a bugger from my head wound. The chap that looked after me had recently done a brilliant, his words, EFAW +F course. The bloke who delivered the course knew his stuff........I am so glad he attended one of my courses! :whistle::whistle:

First Aid kits.

The big green bugger - Truck, Chainsaw, Base Camp.
Red rascal - Overnight, wild camp, expedition. Been to the top of Mount Killimangaro.
Orange thing - Day hike.
Red sport wrap. FAK essential.
6BAAA68E-A1E7-472A-92E3-177FF9860960.jpeg

The big green bugger:

Outside: TQ, shears, sharpie pen, whistle, gloves, face shield.
Top left compartment: Foil blanket, plasters, moist wipes ( non alcohol) and a mirror.
From left: Sport wrap, triangular bandages x2,
Bottom right working up: Sterile wash x 4, tweezer kit, Tick remover, SAM splint, torch.
Under SAMs: Trauma kit, burns kit.
Top right: Pen with 2mts of Duck Tape, med kit (ibrufen, paracetamol, aspirin, anti histamine cream and diarrhea tablets)
Glow stick.
51618F09-23B5-4111-B544-721314A6EA81.jpeg

When on the move we need the basics, weight is very important, but if your in an area where you are using knives, axes, chainsaws and hand saws etc, plus cooking and using fires, then please have the kit!

Remember the saying:

ITS BETTER TO BE LOOKING AT IT.............................THAN LOOKING FOR IT. 👍👍

Back