• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

First go at “Damascus”

Bionic

Extremely Talkative
Ok, I know technically it’s pattern welded rather than true Damascus steel but it’s a bit catchier for the thread title :)
This is actually my first attempt not only at pattern welding but also at forging a knife rather than making one by stock removal (thought I might as well cross two firsts off at once). It has a cutting edge of approximately 3inches and is 8 inches long over all and made with a combination of 1070 and 15N20 steel. I had planned on making it 3mm thick but got a bit carried away hammering so it’s now closer to 2.5mm :rolleyes: The scales are yew with red liners and brass Corby bolts.
C8F3C4E8-7DC6-4E84-B5DB-66B0AA6A585A.jpeg
ADDFA907-B848-444B-9FBA-70DC747B5A84.jpeg

It’s certainly something I’d like to do more of. I have pretty severe back issues however so whether I’m physically up to that level of hammering is another matter, I’ll definitely be giving it another shot though even if my surgeon may not approve :confused:

Something I would like to try myself mate. Just not got time or a large enough shed. But I am working them problems out:D should be building a workshop next summer :thumbsup:

Really nice knife tho:thumbsup:

Back