• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

first tarp, what size?

teef

Slightly Addicted
hi guys, i'd like to tug on your sleeve a bit if i may regarding buying one's first tarp, what size to choose being the major question de jour.
by far the standard seems to be a 3x3. ok, simple enough.
however, i've watched a countless number of u-tube vids on the subject and my impression -- and i stress that i know next to nothing about tarps -- is that for any of the "fancier" set-ups (i'm thinking beyond the basic lean-to and A-frame configurations) things end up being a little cramped. this seems especially true if you're going to use part of the tarp as a ground sheet.

so what do you guys think, is 3x3 the way to go? is stepping up to 3.5x3.5 not a great idea?
i've seen a guy using a 4x4 for solo camping and that seems like a lot of over-kill to me. maybe nice if you're going to set up camp for an extended time but otherwise ....

not sure if it matters much but i'm likely to want the tarp for both hammocking and ground sleeps. i've got a good bit of experience tenting (back in the day) and was never much in love with it. but i've been playing with my new hammock out in the woods these past few weeks and so far i'm pretty impressed. i've now made my own whoopie slings and suchlike. haven't done an over-nighter yet so emphasis on the "playing with" part.

I started out with the 3x3 & happily used it for a few years until @Matt introduced me to the 4x4

Since then my 3x3 has been a bit redundant to be honest

I would say go large from the off as the extra coverage the bigger tarp gives you will be most welcome

Having a bigger tarp increases your options & you can experiment with different set-ups & configurations ! :thumbsup:

I've only used them for ground dwellings Teef, I find the 3 x 3 more than adequate. If you're going to make a tarp tent then it can be a bit 'compact' but I guess it depends on how long you intend to use for, if its for a night then no biggy. I've wondered about the tarp tent using a 4 x 4 but I can't justify it right now.

I would say go large from the off as the extra coverage the bigger tarp gives you will be most welcome

thank you, exactly where my head has been on this for a while now.

obviously with a larger tarp there are weight considerations. can ultra-lights be sturdy enough to be worthwhile? what i don't want is a nice big kleenex that is going to give up the ghost on the first hoolie that blows in.

hi guys, i'd like to tug on your sleeve a bit if i may regarding buying one's first tarp, what size to choose being the major question de jour.
by far the standard seems to be a 3x3. ok, simple enough.
however, i've watched a countless number of u-tube vids on the subject and my impression -- and i stress that i know next to nothing about tarps -- is that for any of the "fancier" set-ups (i'm thinking beyond the basic lean-to and A-frame configurations) things end up being a little cramped. this seems especially true if you're going to use part of the tarp as a ground sheet.

so what do you guys think, is 3x3 the way to go? is stepping up to 3.5x3.5 not a great idea?
i've seen a guy using a 4x4 for solo camping and that seems like a lot of over-kill to me. maybe nice if you're going to set up camp for an extended time but otherwise ....

not sure if it matters much but i'm likely to want the tarp for both hammocking and ground sleeps. i've got a good bit of experience tenting (back in the day) and was never much in love with it. but i've been playing with my new hammock out in the woods these past few weeks and so far i'm pretty impressed. i've now made my own whoopie slings and suchlike. haven't done an over-nighter yet so emphasis on the "playing with" part.
*Defo 3x3 minimum mate, loads of info on here and the tube about various configurations

thank you, exactly where my head has been on this for a while now.

obviously with a larger tarp there are weight considerations. can ultra-lights be sturdy enough to be worthwhile? what i don't want is a nice big kleenex that is going to give up the ghost on the first hoolie that blows in.

Most of us have this one & it has proved to be very reliable :thumbsup:

Ive had all makes and sizes, personally go DD 4x4 all the way. I'm a swinger myself, so for other configurations I can't comment, but as an overhead shelter you can't go wrong, the larger area makes a much more comfortable camp, plus it gives you space to work and store a stack of firewood in the dry, go big my friend you won't regret it

I'm a ground dweller Teef, my system is, if I'm on the move, walking for a few days with one night overnight stops, I use the 3x3 tent style.

If I'm static in the woods for a couple nights and I'm not using my tent, I use a 3.5 x 3.5 'A' shape set up. As previously pointed out the little bit of extra coverage allows you to stow your kit or firewood under cover without crowding your living space.
Multi cam 3.5 x 3.5
DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF4878.jpg

3 x 3 tent style on a single over night stop.
P1050291.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0612.jpg
    DSCF0612.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4878.jpg
    DSCF4878.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 12
  • P1050291.jpg
    P1050291.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 16
I'll go against the current and suggest that depending on where you are, you might struggle to fit the 4 x 4 in. Or need to use more cordage/bungees/whatever to fit it in an area. Let us know how you go with it Teef.

I'm really going to go against the grain, having started off with an army basha I've upgraded slightly to a 1.5x2.8 DDtarp which I use as both basha, sun shade and a shooting hide (laying down using a bipod)

I'm really going to go against the grain, having started off with an army basha I've upgraded slightly to a 1.5x2.8 DDtarp which I use as both basha, sun shade and a shooting hide (laying down using a bipod)

I've got an old poncho (guess about that size) and its fine, not as light as the DD set up obviously and an option. Its not a serious option for me compared to the DD 3 X 3. I am curious to try the 4 X 4 (and no doubt will one day) but the 3 x 3 is big enough for a couple of us with an admin/cooking area in an A set up. For one man and his dug is even better, still have an admin area for cooking etc if its raining. It really does come down to what you're looking for in your shelter.

many thanks guys, just the "boots on the ground" info i was hoping for. 👍
fwiw i've decided to start squarely in the middle with the DD 3.5 MC that @saxonaxe mentioned a few posts back. the pics sold me!
the adventure continues. :)

that said, it's funny how different things are this time around compared to 30 years ago when i first got into the hike-and-camp thing. maybe it's just old age setting in but it seems to me that there is infinitely more to choose from these days and a lot bigger bang for your buck. my sleep of choice back then was a 1.5 man ultralight free-standing tent that cost me an arm and a leg. great tent but you broke out in a sweat every time you walked away from your campsite in fear of the dreaded back-woods tent bandits coming to snatch your priceless kit away. this time around i'm doing it all on a modest monthly allowance and am spoiled for choice. not complaining mind you. ;)

I know what you mean Teef, definitely more options now and certainly at the mid range prices have come down. You can still spend stupid money if you want but now you don't have to for good gear now. Let us know how you go with the tarp.

many thanks guys, just the "boots on the ground" info i was hoping for. 👍
fwiw i've decided to start squarely in the middle with the DD 3.5 MC that @saxonaxe mentioned a few posts back. the pics sold me!
the adventure continues. :)

that said, it's funny how different things are this time around compared to 30 years ago when i first got into the hike-and-camp thing. maybe it's just old age setting in but it seems to me that there is infinitely more to choose from these days and a lot bigger bang for your buck. my sleep of choice back then was a 1.5 man ultralight free-standing tent that cost me an arm and a leg. great tent but you broke out in a sweat every time you walked away from your campsite in fear of the dreaded back-woods tent bandits coming to snatch your priceless kit away. this time around i'm doing it all on a modest monthly allowance and am spoiled for choice. not complaining mind you. ;)
😀you must join the scottish contingent on the next visit to Devilla forest....all sorts of set ups to view.....and a weird set of blokes😁

I'm new to tarps too........... recently I bought a 3x3 DD tarp for lightweight solo use and found it ideal for my 6' 4" carcass and kit...a bit more room than my lavvu in one plane. I use it for an origami style tent with canoe paddles as an A frame, so no pole in the middle?
A 4x4 would be tempting.....but do I need it???? Hmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_170250.jpg
    IMG_20200602_170250.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 85
I'm new to tarps too........... recently I bought a 3x3 DD tarp for lightweight solo use and found it ideal for my 6' 4" carcass and kit...a bit more room than my lavvu in one plane. I use it for an origami style tent with canoe paddles as an A frame, so no pole in the middle?
A 4x4 would be tempting.....but do I need it???? Hmmmm

Well of course you NEED it :whistle::sneaky::D

Back