• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

first trip out

La Cucaracha

Quite Talkative
Ok here it goes, this is what iam intending to take on my forest wildcamp.
You will see you are not the only one who has been to decathlon! Unfortunately when i went i did not buy anything in your lists! Alot of stuff iam borrowing as the camping bug hit my friend a long time ago. Other stuff i have and other stuff is highstreet.

Rucksack is decathlon forclaz trekking 50 litre. 1.495kg this iam borrowing from my friend iam going with. As a liner iam going to use a plastic rubble bag.

Sleeping bag is ultralite pro 100 its a 2 season bag with a comfort level of 8 degrees. I intend to sleep in it clothed. 900g
And iam borrowing it

Shelter british army basha 1kg borrowing
And British army gortex bivi 800g borrowing
Pound land tarps x2 groundsheet
Wool blanket i normally jeep in my car 1.5kg

Hultafors craftmans knife 80g
Swiss army knife, suisse officier
Wilkinson sword axe 640g

Mess tins and fork and spoon 500g
Thermos cup 222g
Energiser head torch 170g

Dewalt work boots not water resistant
Dickies work trousers 65% polyester 35%cotton
Scruffs beanie
Thinsulate gloves and leather work gloves
Long johns and top from supermarket
Decathlon t shirt mh 100 0.11kg
Wool jumper 80% wool
Quilted lumberjack hooded work shirt
Decathlon quecha nh100 mens hiking padded jacket 426g
Scruffs waterproof jacket and over trousers black 230g

I think this is not too bad but obviously i need to start buying my own stuff!

Fire lighting will be a trusty bic lighter
And a trangia as back up as a Englishman cannot last a night without a cup of tea. By the way the brand of sleeping bag was vango

looks like a good list of kit to be taking ..... you will soon work out what you have forgotten or what you didnt need after the trip:)

Rely on the Trangia rather than a fire. If your new to this I would have taken a tent and not a tarp. A two season bag with a Goretex bivvy will be OK so long as the temps don't drop any more than they are now. Don' sleep with all your clothes on, your body has to heat up your clothing before the sleeping bag can even start to do its job so your wasting energy; better off with sleeping in pants, fleece top/jacket and long johns. Fill a two litre bottle with hot water, not boiling but hot and use as a hot water bottle; this way you will have warm water in the morning for a brew. Axe? I don't use them often, you can waste a lot of energy waking the crap out of a log, go to Lidl and get a £3 folding saw which will save you energy...better still get a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Lapl...81&hvtargid=pla-385867917582&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Unless your diabetic take high energy food, Mars bars, plenty of sugar in your brew, certainly the last brew before sleep. You need fat in your food, stuff like butter and corned beef and full fat milk or full fat milk powder (Nido brand from your local Asian store). Pot Noodle with a chunk of butter added is good. Make sure your phone is charged.

Have a good trip mate :)

Rely on the Trangia rather than a fire. If your new to this I would have taken a tent and not a tarp. A two season bag with a Goretex bivvy will be OK so long as the temps don't drop any more than they are now. Don' sleep with all your clothes on, your body has to heat up your clothing before the sleeping bag can even start to do its job so your wasting energy; better off with sleeping in pants, fleece top/jacket and long johns. Fill a two litre bottle with hot water, not boiling but hot and use as a hot water bottle; this way you will have warm water in the morning for a brew. Axe? I don't use them often, you can waste a lot of energy waking the crap out of a log, go to Lidl and get a £3 folding saw which will save you energy...better still get a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Lapl...81&hvtargid=pla-385867917582&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Unless your diabetic take high energy food, Mars bars, plenty of sugar in your brew, certainly the last brew before sleep. You need fat in your food, stuff like butter and corned beef and full fat milk or full fat milk powder (Nido brand from your local Asian store). Pot Noodle with a chunk of butter added is good. Make sure your phone is charged.

Have a good trip mate :)
Thanks for the advice, i firgit to add i got a cheapo folding saw, highlander i think

You can give everything you bought from Decathlon back if you want, if it is unused, without telling them a good reason.

Just say, you changed your mind, or you discovered at home that it doesn't fit optimal.

Especially if you take another thing, its absolutely no problem, but even if you want to get your money back it's no problem.

Decathlon wants a client who leaves the shop in a good mood. Every thing else doesn't count really.

They want that you will come back, and the sellers have order to avoid stress with you.

I'm not sure, but I think, they even pay money back against used stuff without any discussion.

Your list looks good and in my opinion you should use as much as possible different borrowed stuff, because you learn a lot about it and understand, what is important for you.

Harry, he has additional a woolen blanket with him!
If he doesn't use it as a pillow, the sleeping bag in the wrapped blanket in the bivvy should be fine I guess!

La Cucaracha,
What is currently the total weight of this equipment without water, soap, fuel and food?
I mean including spare clothing, excluding clothing you will wear during the day.

Waterproof jacket plus waterproof trousers together only 230g ????

Did you get it from James Bond or the NASA?

Thanks for the advice, i firgit to add i got a cheapo folding saw, highlander i think

As Harry says, its your body that heats up your layers (clothes/sleeping bag/blanket/bivvy bag) so another option is to do a quick bit of phys before you climb in, nothing drastic, a quick jog on the spot or a few star jumps etc, just to get the blood flowing and heat you through before you spear in.. You might not need it if its warm enough and if you do, make sure your mate isn't filming it. :lol:

Will you survive the week end without wash kit?
If not: What's the weight?

Aah, sorry!
Thermos cup, not thermos bottle!

So which bottles?

2x1 litre from the super market, each 33g ?

Waterproof jacket plus waterproof trousers together only 230g ????

Did you get it from James Bond or the NASA?
Iam not as domesticated as to sit with a set of kitchen scales and weigh everything so i thought it would be easy to google it, may of Misread that one! Its probably closer to 900grms, same with the knife probaly closer to 110grms

Will you survive the week end without wash kit?
If not: What's the weight?
I will probably just take toothbrush and paste in a zip loc bag, this list is not comprehensive as reading it back i think i missed a bit out! I guess thats the danger of trying to do it with a hangover while a 6 yr old child is shouting and jumping on me!

Cordage?
Swimming breefs?
spare socks?
Toilet paper?
Zipp lock bags (freezer) to seal smart phone?
Zipp lock bags 1+3 litres to double seal all stuff?
Spiritus bottle?
Smartphone charger or not?
Spare batteries for the head torch?

Map & compass carries your friend?

Back