• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

first trip out

Iam not as domesticated as to sit with a set of kitchen scales and weigh everything so i thought it would be easy to google it, may of Misread that one! Its probably closer to 900grms, same with the knife probaly closer to 110grms

You don't need to justify it all mate, when you can, try the packed bag on and see how it feels, it its not too heavy or awkward for you then its all good. If it gets heavy after a few miles walk then you'll be in a better position to try something different next time.

Toothpaste exists in very small tubes, 20ml tubes we find in every drugstore in germany, but no where in France.
I don't know the situation in Britain.

Perhaps you can get Ajona toothpaste instead of this.
It is concentrated and sold in small tubes.

This Lidl 30x40cm microfibre cloth (2 cost 3€) can replace a towel. One weights only 30g.

What do you mean with fruit squasch bottles?
Capri sun collapsable stile?

Can you refill them with water?

Do you get it from a farm or do you use water purifing tabs like "Micropour forte"?

I recommend to use the kitchen scales!

I dont know you, but most people do not love to carry more around than 16 kg.

It is helpfull to know the equipment, and especially to know where the brick is in it.

You should see the enemy, and especially the little sniper!

He's only got a 50l Decathlon bag so not much room. He's young and if his sphincter is working well he should be able to squeeze/cut off a baguette without the need of bog roll.

He also has a mate with all the gear so I'm guessing the mate can advise him.

Do it!
It's a good idea!

But please make shure that in the end the winter equipment you brought together stays under 16 kg including water and food, and test it minimum 300 days, because if not, such a list would be unfortunatly as good as worth less.

I don't do under 16kg for winter kit, shit, three days of water comes in at 6kg. You stick with lightweight cheap kit, I'll stick with my Berghaus/Rab/Golite/Vango/Primus et al :)

I don't do under 16kg for winter kit, shit, three days of water comes in at 6kg. You stick with lightweight cheap kit, I'll stick with my Berghaus/Rab/Golite/Vango/Primus et al :)

I'm a kitchen sink kind of a cat myself. Unless I'm planning on doing Munro's etc I'm probably a good whack over the 16KG, admittedly, after tanning my box of red wine its a lighter walk out in the morning. :whistle:

Horses for courses and no one right way to do it.

Guys, surely there are a lot of well working equipments in the world.

A beginner usually really has problems to get one sorted, and if everybody would write threads like me, where he explains his for him well working kit, it would be really helpful for beginners!

My generation and especially yours usually started with a 100% military equipment and changed as an experienced person step by step one piece after the other.

Now a days a beginner stands in front of several thousands of offers and has no idea, what fits to what and when which thing should be used.

A lot of unexperienced people throw a lot of money out of the window because they buy stuff without having any idea.

And if you look at all the pricy offers, you can find in the internet, you will see, that the most are wrong constructions, over priced brands and throw away articles.

A forum like ours should use its time to help beginners to avoid such traps.

I really mean, that a single review of a trusty person has a high value.
But a far higher value for the beginner has a description of a working complete equipment.

An explanation of an experienced bushcrafters kit as a complete packing list, even if there are some pieces in, which aren't available any longer, really can help beginners how to pack a ruck sack and how to get in field and forest.

Don't forget: The young generation usually didn't serve in the army, not in every town a good boy scout patrol is located, and the times where everybody's daddy has served in the army and can explain it to his son are over as well.

Interesting is only the equipment, what had been tested by experienced people over a longer time of use.

I myself bought in the last couple of years some stuff, which looked good but was rubbish, what I discovered by using it half a year. And my impression is, that more and more of this stuff enters the market.

Even brands who had been well known for quality stuff like Fjällräven an Jack Wolfskin started to sell people over priced rubbish. And I guess, some other brands do it as well.

Maybe wait to see if he wants the advice Erbs, he has a mate who he's borrowing the kit off, the mate might well know the score already.

Maybe wait to see if he wants the advice Erbs, he has a mate who he's borrowing the kit off, the mate might well know the score already.

Fair point but the fact the gents on here asking would be rude not to help or advise :whistle:.... back on topic please guys 👍

Of course!

This he told us after I asked him to write the packing list. And he asked me to write something about budget clothing. That's the reason, why I did it now. And because I opend the thread I will finish it too.

I tested all this stuff from this shop, because it is sold in France every corner, and my idea was to write this thread in the French bushcraft forum for people I meat in France, and who ask me what stuff I recommend, what happens very often to me.

And so I bought that all and tried it out.

Off course I personally didn't need it. I own so much outdoor stuff, I could easily fill a Mercedes Sprinter with it.

La Cucaracha,
I think you have currently a base weight of round about 10.500g
With 2 litres water and 1 kg food you should reach 13.500g total weight of the packed ruck sack.

Even with a third litre and 14.500 g this should be easily portable for a carpenter.

But pay attention!

Another 1500 g of stuff, and you reach the comfort border of the most people I know!

That would happen for example if the weather becomes warm and you would put more of the listed clothing in your ruck sack than leather gloves, padded jacket and rain suit.

18 kg are for the most people I know the border what they can carry over longer times.
Most civil persons can't carry 20 kg longer than 3 km in one rush, if they can carry it.

Enough of people can't carry 18 kg, especially those who work in an office.

Its probably because iam taking the day off tomorrow and am half way through a bottle of red wine but i made a ebay purchase with money i dont really have! I bought myself a snugpak special forces bivi. So if my camp goes tits up and i vow to never go again it may be in the for sale section lol

Its probably because iam taking the day off tomorrow and am half way through a bottle of red wine but i made a ebay purchase with money i dont really have! I bought myself a snugpak special forces bivi. So if my camp goes tits up and i vow to never go again it may be in the for sale section lol

A man after my own heart, apart from the reselling, all my purchases are like the 'one ring', I don't want to part with them. :D

Back