• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fishermans Cotton Smock.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
With this hot weather hanging on and not wanting to wear my usual hunting and outdoor gear.....I dug out my old Fisherman type smock.

Nice and cool to wear and very durable, comfortable too.
Protects the arms from the sun and offers reasonable cover against the bugs too.
Being quite a loose fit it helps with the air ciculation around your upper body.....and constantly flushes while your on the move.

The one I have is green....but a lighter colour would reflect the heat better .

There are different types and designs.....and of course they vary in price....just a thought:thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/100-Cotton.../1575951590?iid=191903392025&var=490961417297

I don't think i could wear summit like that mate, aren't they a thick layered cotton? i'd sweat buckets in it :(:rofl::crying:

I like wearing loose fitting clothes, ie cotton tee-shirts when it's sweltering :)

Hi Gary.

Its surprising how cool they keep you....especially the lighter coloured ones.....not to everyones taste though mate:thumbsup:
I am just a tart :rolleyes::D

With this hot weather hanging on and not wanting to wear my usual hunting and outdoor gear.....I dug out my old Fisherman type smock.

Protects the arms from the sun and offers reasonable cover against the bugs too.
Being quite a loose fit it helps with the air ciculation around your upper body.....and constantly flushes while your on the move.

There are different types and designs.....and of course they vary in price....just a thought:thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/100-Cotton.../1575951590?iid=191903392025&var=490961417297[/QUOTE
I think they were originally called a Gansey Bill

If they are loose fitting Gary they let the air circulate around you and they flush warm air away easily.
They do make excellent wind blocks to but they are not waterproof:thumbsup:

If they are loose fitting Gary they let the air circulate around you and they flush warm air away easily.
They do make excellent wind blocks to but they are not waterproof:thumbsup:
I no Titanex made a good smock, i had a pair of there seafishing waterproof Bib and braces.

I did not know that Joe :thumbsup:

Also used for many different activities from sailing....gardening...... to art work etc.:thumbsup:

I looked at fishermen's smocks as a windproof layer for the Arctic trip but settled on a forces jacket :)

Joe, a 'gansey' is a thick fishermen's jumper knitted with extra thin wool (Worsted grade), originally from the Channel Island of Guernsey. Fishermen's Smocks were traditionally made from off-cuts of sail cloth, like the work trousers. As a piece of useless information, the said trousers were held up with knitted braces; when you learnt how to knit, these were usually the first complete finished item.

Joe, a 'gansey' is a thick fishermen's jumper knitted with extra thin wool (Worsted grade), originally from the Channel Island of Guernsey. Fishermen's Smocks were traditionally made from off-cuts of sail cloth, like the work trousers. As a piece of useless information, the said trousers were held up with knitted braces; when you learnt how to knit, these were usually the first complete finished item.
Thanks for the info Bob:thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/100-Cotton.../1575951590?iid=191903392025&var=490961417297

As ever late on the scene.....
I use cotton canvas smocks for everything from odd jobs, sailing and out in the canoe, I have an old cotton canvas one, Breton style and a newer one off amazon or ebay for about £20, also heavy cotton, showerproof. This follows more the old anorak style with a kangaroo pouch across the chest and a hood. I find this one of my favourites when out and about in variable weather,,,,,,,:thumbsup:

As ever late on the scene.....
I use cotton canvas smocks for everything from odd jobs, sailing and out in the canoe, I have an old cotton canvas one, Breton style and a newer one off amazon or ebay for about £20, also heavy cotton, showerproof. This follows more the old anorak style with a kangaroo pouch across the chest and a hood. I find this one of my favourites when out and about in variable weather,,,,,,,:thumbsup:
If you keep being late on the thread you're going on the naughty step young man:rofl:

I know my place................:(

(But, "young man" at 61..........YAHAY!!)

Back