• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fishing carp in sight

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi folks,

I have been out carp fishing way up north for the last two days and encountered a situation I never had before: Usually I fish with float bread when spotting in sight, hovering right underneath the water surface (SEE PICTURE).

Back home I never had an issue catching them with that method but I literally had zero bites (actually not even a nibble) throughout 48h. The fish were literally swimming circles around the hook - and nothing happened. I am sure they could not have seen the hook and also not my refraction and frankly I am trying to figure out why they were not at all interested in feeding.

Has anyone ever experienced this and could share some input? Thanks in advance!

Hmmmm

Where are you fishing ? way up North where ?

I fish for carp on the surface here in UK using Harrington's dog biscuits on a size 10 hair rig . I use a controller or bubble float about 1 metre from the hook . I loose feed dog biscuits to get them used to feeding on the surface and then cast into the mêlée.

They can be fickle but this generally works for me .

Yeah that's what we do over here with Frolic (disclaimer: I am not sponsored and just mention the brand for educational reasons hahaha). Did not try that yet as I wanted to go "oldschool".

I went fishing at a small pond, maybe some 50m x 150m - so that struck me really hard as I saw a swarm of at least 14 fish. Not really capital ones but certainly around +/- 40cm.

The waters are rather clear but there is a lot of algae growing. I am just trying to figure out if the conditions made the fish cautious or whether there might be other fishermen who keep overfeeding them. I saw boot tracks.

Try dropping the hook bait 2 or three Inches under the surface. You can do this with a very small led shot. Mite help. The idea is the floating bait drops slowly under the water so not to spook the fish.

Was it a sunny day ? How clear was the water?

Try dropping the hook bait 2 or three Inches under the surface. You can do this with a very small led shot. Mite help. The idea is the floating bait drops slowly under the water so not to spook the fish.

Was it a sunny day ? How clear was the water?

Also tried that, both with bread, dough-balls and also proper boilies (hence the surprise, this always used to work).

Weather-wise we had a pretty hot day, some 30C and an approximate visibility of about 30-50cm in the water.

I know nothing about Carp fishing.........but a friend of mine was very keen.
He used to put a handful of dog biscuits in a plastic bag and then add a couple of drops of Aniseed oil.....then swirl them around in the bag to coat the biscuits.
I suppose it could be added to bread dough balls too.

Might be worth a try if you have not already.

Also tried that, both with bread, dough-balls and also proper boilies (hence the surprise, this always used to work).

Weather-wise we had a pretty hot day, some 30C and an approximate visibility of about 30-50cm in the water.

In this case I Don’t think you was doing anything wrong. Just a bad days fishing :D

Try adding a little chilly powder to the bread. Lightly sprinkle water over the bread then a little chilly powder . Top tip not one I have shared a lot :rofl:

Could they have been spawning ? or as ARK79 says just an unlucky day.

Revenge of the fish .................

Good point :thumbsup: not sure how the weather has been for the last year over there @Rathwulven BC. Spawning in the uk can be thrown out by weeks sometimes months if the weather has been all over the show (different lol).

He used to put a handful of dog biscuits in a plastic bag and then add a couple of drops of Aniseed oil.....then swirl them around in the bag to coat the biscuits.

Second this. Works a treat. The longer you leave the biscuits in the oil the better.

@Rathwulven BC spot feed the area no more than a handful.put the same bait you intend on using on the hook in with the mix. Do this wile you fish and any time when just passing through. It stops the carp identifying the hook bait as danger. Seems daft but it dose work.

aniseed used in bread paste is a brilliant bait Bill

Yeah maybe it is really just a lack of luck.
I have to be honest, never had that. I originally from the Aischtal region (which hosts the world's best carp, no kidding - if you are there, eat our fried carps hahaha).

So yeah, went out this Saturday again.
Six hours and almost no action. Tried the good all Frolic, aground and at about 15cm deep with float. Two tiny nibbles and otherwise just circulating around the hooks.

:poo:

Soon...

So yeah, went out this Saturday again.
Six hours and almost no action. Tried the good all Frolic, aground and at about 15cm deep with float. Two tiny nibbles and otherwise just circulating around the hooks.

:poo:

Soon...

Just fishing! Lol.

I'm told sugar puffs floated on the surface are irresistible ............................
SSHHHHH it's one of those "secret society" baits you're not supposed to tell. Marshmallows---cough---cough.....
You do realise the "Fishing Inquisition" will be visiting us and breaking all our Wagglers?

Back