• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fishing fail ....

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
So I couldn’t get any bait locally ( fishing shops shut ! ) , I ordered some maggots and some worms online from “willies worms “ on Tuesday afternoon , paid £5.99 for delivery via APC ..... still not arrived .... to say I’m pi**ed is an understatement... no tracking update from courier and Willy told me courier was four drops away at 4pm .... they’ve now closed ....... I postponed yesterday , postponed again today 🤬😡🤯

I’m going tomorrow come what may and Willy can expect a complaint come Monday morning.......

Never mind Willy should be called Dick ....👎

For times when I can't get maggots or worms, I have tinned sweetcorn, cheapo luncheon meat and bread. As you might appreciate I am not a specimen hunter! However, I always catch something even with any of the aforementioned. I've also got some fake baits, but I've never used them. Tench in particular seem to like a bit of Lidl luncheon meat.
Thanks for the heads-up on the poor service. I think I mentioned the company a while ago in another thread, but couldn't justify the cost.

Last edited:
For times when I can't get maggots or worms, I have tinned sweetcorn, cheapo luncheon meat and bread. As you might appreciate I am not a specimen hunter! However, I always catch something even with any of the aforementioned. I've also got some fake baits, but I've never used them. Tench in particular seem to like a bit of Lidl luncheon meat.
Thanks for the heads-up on the poor service. I think I mentioned the company a while ago in another thread, but couldn't justify the cost.

That’s my plan for tomorrow , corn , bread flake and I made some turmeric flavoured bread paste today ...... so I’m going no matter what , corn usually works well at my venue ......🤨

I have never not once gone fishing! should try it i guess

Its a relaxing sport Med.......are there any ponds or lakes near you over there?
Might be worth a visit to one....... and have a chat to a few fisherman........get some tips and suggestions on kit and setting up.
Fisherman are mostly friendly and only to happy and willing to help someone entering into the sport :thumbsup:

It's never nice when you get let down like this, when it finally arrives these maggots will probably be able to fly.
We have several stumperies which are breeding grounds for all sorts of insects. It's easy to dig out a hand full of larvae or pupae for bait.
I know this doesn't help you right now but it's an idea for the future.

51BD0146-9949-44B0-929C-BCA7769E25CE.jpeg
79BD8528-9D60-47C5-9269-344A4D6F496C.jpeg

So I couldn’t get any bait locally ( fishing shops shut ! ) , I ordered some maggots and some worms online from “willies worms “ on Tuesday afternoon , paid £5.99 for delivery via APC ..... still not arrived .... to say I’m pi**ed is an understatement... no tracking update from courier and Willy told me courier was four drops away at 4pm .... they’ve now closed ....... I postponed yesterday , postponed again today 🤬😡🤯

I’m going tomorrow come what may and Willy can expect a complaint come Monday morning.......

Never mind Willy should be called Dick ....👎
I don't suppose that Dick will care very much about that, he uses a scuba set up when he goes fishing. I've never heard of anyone fishing for scallops using maggots

@Madriverrob

Congrats on the fish Rob.......looks to be in prime condition :thumbsup:

Shame you got let down with the delivery of your bait.
Not sure if this would interest you....but it could be worth the effort and a bit of fun.......and never be without bait when you need it.
Depending how far you would want to go with it (if you wanted to do it ) you could possibly earn a few bob by selling a some on to other fisherman......once you get established?

Back