• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fishing kit.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Hi All.

Just in case I am lucky enough to be camped near to a nice flowing river/large stream/pond in the future, theres nothing like throwing a line to try and catch your dinner ( correct permissions and permits in place of course :rolleyes:)

Fishing kit ive knocked up.

DSC00203.jpg

Spool of 6 or 8lb line.
Swivels.
size 12 hooks.
size 1 hooks.
A few flies.
2x small floats.
SSG Shot weights.
Rod eye ( Tape or bind to the end of your stick )
Small attractor beads.

I want to add one more thing, a small bubble float, which you can fill with water to desired amount, and acts as your weight and your float.

Source your bait from the edges of the water you are fishing, worms, slugs , grubs etc.

Great fun :)

Bill.

Attachments

• DSC00203.jpg
    DSC00203.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 227
taking a rod eye's a great idea i never thought of that. i've got one of those little pen rods i keep planning to try out but keep forgetting

Mate I found in my local "Go Outdoors" a selection of plastic bait, corn, maggots, casters, bread flake, meat etc. Should have been sold for about £6 but was reduced due to damage to £1.99. Looks just like the real thing, worth a thought!!!!

Make a hobo type rod, 12" of plastic pipe with a stopper each end all bits stored inside tube and your fishing line wrapped around tube, can also use it for casting.

Make a hobo type rod, 12" of plastic pipe with a stopper each end all bits stored inside tube and your fishing line wrapped around tube, can also use it for casting.
Seen these on utube. one of my next projects for my main pack...

taking a rod eye's a great idea i never thought of that. i've got one of those little pen rods i keep planning to try out but keep forgetting

Hi Elliott.

Yes the rod eye works well mate.
Seen those pen rods, nifty little bits of kit, plus you can write home about your catch afterwards;)
:D

All good fun a buddy?

Mate I found in my local "Go Outdoors" a selection of plastic bait, corn, maggots, casters, bread flake, meat etc. Should have been sold for about £6 but was reduced due to damage to £1.99. Looks just like the real thing, worth a thought!!!!

Hiya Jaffcat.

Yes mate, good idea, you can buy all sorts of artificials these days, the maggot immatations are good.

Used to be a bit of red wool and a sliver of silver paper:D

GULP baits are worth a try too, hardy, and stay on the hooks well, good scent trail too.

Hi Gazo.

Great idea mate, if it catches your supper, its got to be good :D

Some of the cheapo travel fly rods are good too, they pack down to about 18" and will cope very well.
Nice if your near a decent bit of water on a longer stay.

I have got most of those bits myself, from back when I was obsessed with survival tins* and was convinced I NEEDED basic fishing gear. I must I have never used any of it (or anything else I put in the tin, which itself now lives somewhere at the back of the shed) but it would be handy to know how best to use such bits, just for entertainment purposes if nothing else as I have been told many times that certain types of fishing can be very relaxing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and fair play :)

Survival tins, a bit of a waste of time in Britain? Discuss (it would probably be polite to discuss elsewhere and not hijack this thread... any more than I have done already
:eek:)

Hi Kernowick.

You are absolutly right, you can bog yourself down with un-needed kit :D
The kit I have made up will live in the shed like yours, unless of course I know it will be put to good use, on a nice stretch of water.
Made up and ready to go, if and when needed.

I have got most of those bits myself, from back when I was obsessed with survival tins* and was convinced I NEEDED basic fishing gear. I must I have never used any of it (or anything else I put in the tin, which itself now lives somewhere at the back of the shed) but it would be handy to know how best to use such bits, just for entertainment purposes if nothing else as I have been told many times that certain types of fishing can be very relaxing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and fair play :)

Survival tins, a bit of a waste of time in Britain? Discuss (it would probably be polite to discuss elsewhere and not hijack this thread... any more than I have done already
:eek:)
On this Island you're never more than seen miles from civilisation... Watch bear grylls in ireland lol... And he's write on te coastline and instead of fishing he goes and eats a sheep raw...

Just saw that old post and wanna share some thoughts that pop up:

What about adding some carabine-swivels?
What about a pack of glowsticks in case you want to use the kit at night?

Just saw that old post and wanna share some thoughts that pop up:

What about adding some carabine-swivels?
What about a pack of glowsticks in case you want to use the kit at night?
I agree with both Rath but my night fishing for big trout is to use over strength braid big hook loaded with lob worms and a spring release system and leave it to fish its self. tie your line to a springy sapling, take a second line from the sapling don to a trigger stick, the fish taking the bait releases the trigger, the fish hopefully is pulled out of the water and breakfast is served

Certainly also an option. Depends on the preference, I guess. I just like the active part of fishing :)

I agree with both Rath but my night fishing for big trout is to use over strength braid big hook loaded with lob worms and a spring release system and leave it to fish its self. tie your line to a springy sapling, take a second line from the sapling don to a trigger stick, the fish taking the bait releases the trigger, the fish hopefully is pulled out of the water and breakfast is served

Certainly also an option. Depends on the preference, I guess. I just like the active part of fishing :)
I also enjoy actively fishing but there are occasions when to catch or not to catch can be the difference between a full stomach and going hungry

Back