• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

FISHING 😁

Spinners and course fishing are allowed on a stretch of fast water downstream from where the River Irfon joins the River Wye but the whole area is catch and release these days...I can't speak for the rest of the Wye because it's like a patchwork of sporting and fishing rights.

Catch and release here also…. To do with the numbers of salmon running through, apparently the numbers are going up but for now it’s catch and release….. most of the river earn is relatively straight forward where rules are concerned, no ticket no fishing, obviously private land bare more responsibility than non, we use to be able to take the kids down with a rod and let them fish for trout but that’s been knocked on the head now…. When I was a kid it was nothing to be sitting on the banks fishing for trout but now the kids are moved on and they wonder why they have attitude problems lol…..

I'm not sure it's nationally illegal as such but it isn't allowed on Wye and Usk foundation waters. Many smaller fisheries and stretches of minor rivers here are fly only.
No it’s not, it will be down to local by-laws. Even some sections of river will differ, as you rightly say, some beats may be fly only.

30 years as a Fisheries Officer taught me that! 🤣🤣🤣😂

Caught quite a few Salmon on fly, both here and in Ireland, but pound for pound a Sea Trout is a beast.

Also try Carp on the fly, if the fishery allows it, really great fun, and a good scrap.

Although I gave never caught the bigger game fish on fly, the ultimate pound for pound has to be Bone Fish, I caught a 9lb Bone on an island called Mayaguana in the Bahamas, it ripped of at least 150 yards of backing............ twice! Just when I thought I had it beat, it ran again, absolute beasts of fishes.

But don’t forget chaps, it’s called Angling.........Not catching. I have had far more than my share of blanks, especially lately in the sea. But rather that than sat around in front the telly. 👍😀🐟🐟

Cheers.

Mike.

Catch and release here also…. To do with the numbers of salmon running through, apparently the numbers are going up but for now it’s catch and release….. most of the river earn is relatively straight forward where rules are concerned, no ticket no fishing, obviously private land bare more responsibility than non, we use to be able to take the kids down with a rod and let them fish for trout but that’s been knocked on the head now…. When I was a kid it was nothing to be sitting on the banks fishing for trout but now the kids are moved on and they wonder why they have attitude problems lol…..

Sad Mark, it was proven by us here in Devon, when we ran Angling Days for kids. The feedback from parents on how it changed behaviour, made it so worthwhile. I have been retired for six years, but I don’t think the EA run them anymore. 🙁🙁

Mike.

Caught quite a few Salmon on fly, both here and in Ireland, but pound for pound a Sea Trout is a beast.

Also try Carp on the fly, if the fishery allows it, really great fun, and a good scrap.

Although I gave never caught the bigger game fish on fly, the ultimate pound for pound has to be Bone Fish, I caught a 9lb Bone on an island called Mayaguana in the Bahamas, it ripped of at least 150 yards of backing............ twice! Just when I thought I had it beat, it ran again, absolute beasts of fishes.

But don’t forget chaps, it’s called Angling.........Not catching. I have had far more than my share of blanks, especially lately in the sea. But rather that than sat around in front the telly. 👍😀🐟🐟

Cheers.

Mike.

Not fished for bone fish, however the programs I’ve watched about catching them did make me sit on the edge of the couch, would love a go at them….. must have got the ticker racing Mike 👍🏻

Sad Mark, it was proven by us here in Devon, when we ran Angling Days for kids. The feedback from parents on how it changed behaviour, made it so worthwhile. I have been retired for six years, but I don’t think the EA run them anymore. 🙁🙁

Mike.

shame things wasn’t they way of old days mate 👎 most of my childhood was on the bank at a place called Linlithgow catching trout and the occasional greedy jack pike, blissful memories… still remember my dad saying if the head and tail hangs over your sandwich box bring that one home son 😂

also sea fishing most summers 😁

Not fished for bone fish, however the programs I’ve watched about catching them did make me sit on the edge of the couch, would love a go at them….. must have got the ticker racing Mike 👍🏻

Certainly did mate, it was also my first one of the trip at a location called Curtis Creek, did not do so well after that tbh, but did have a few Triggers on the fly, and a Barracuda on a Dexter off a boat in the blue.

Got told off by my a guide for wading out passed my knees, and informed it may be best to come into shallower water. Why, I asked politely........”Bull Shark man”, was his reply. Just for future info............You CAN run on water!

Certainly did mate, it was also my first one of the trip at a location called Curtis Creek, did not do so well after that tbh, but did have a few Triggers on the fly, and a Barracuda on a Dexter off a boat in the blue.

Got told off by my a guide for wading out passed my knees, and informed it may be best to come into shallower water. Why, I asked politely........”Bull Shark man”, was his reply. Just for future info............You CAN run on water!

Bull shark !! Yup that would have grabbed anyone’s attention 😂 there would have been an ofy cloud to the water if a fin popped up 😂

Barracuda , also another on the list, not sure I will get this list seen to before am 60 right enough but it’s happening lol

Back