• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Five Pound Sharpening Kit

Guide Five Pound Sharpening Kit

HillBill

Very Addicted
HillBill submitted a new resource:

Five Pound Sharpening Kit - Sharpening On A Budget

Now, if you have £30-£40 to invest in a set of water stones, plus £20 for a razor strop and £20 for a great chef steel, you can get a razor edge on your knife. I do mean shaving sharp. But what if you haven’t? Well a friend of mine challenged me to get a beaten up Mora to shave for under five pounds. I do love a challenge!

I openly acknowledge that all the ideas shown here have been taken from a variety of sources - not least Mors Kochanski, however a personal experience may be interesting...

Read more about this resource...

being a furniture maker by trade, in very luck to own. oil stones, diamond stones, ceramic and arkensus stone. and a couple of homemade strops. i find the most important part for me is polishing the burr off. i normally now just use the strop to keep the edge keen till next time i sharpen. very good post as it shows its the technique not what you got.

i did have Japanese water stones course to extra fine. i couldn't use them no matter what i did lol

I use the same method myself only I use old engineers oil stones I pick up from car boot sales and auto jumbles. Modern oil stones are just not fine enough.
The old leather belt and car window really do work well, I often repeat those steps a few times before having to go back to the fine oil stone.

Back