• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fjallraven smock no1

I had a pair of FR trousers that lasted no longer than a pair of bog standard M65's. Your paying a lot of money for the name, nothing special in the design or the materials used, your paying a lot for a little Fox badge. I did read FR are quite popular with some football fans these days. If its waxed its waterproof but for the cost you could buy something like a Barbour Cowen Commando jacket and have enough change to but a quality tent in which to celebrate your birthday :)

Just my penny's worth.

Nice sale on at Blacks ;)

I had a pair of FR trousers that lasted no longer than a pair of bog standard M65's. Your paying a lot of money for the name, nothing special in the design or the materials used, your paying a lot for a little Fox badge. I did read FR are quite popular with some football fans these days. If its waxed its waterproof but for the cost you could buy something like a Barbour Cowen Commando jacket and have enough change to but a quality tent in which to celebrate your birthday :)

Just my penny's worth.

Nice sale on at Blacks ;)

A do need a tent right enough harry :D

@Ark79

Hi Mark.

Just another option that may interest you mate........and now offered at a very good price 👍

The "Ridgeline Elite II "

I have ...and .....use one of these for a few years now....... it is a good reliable outer shell.....recommend.
Also use one of their other smocks for shooting.

Does not sweat inside.

Well made and good performance :thumbsup:

Ohhh decisions......decisions a? :rofl:

@Ark79

Hi Mark.

Just another option that may interest you mate........and now offered at a very good price 👍

The "Ridgeline Elite II "

I have ...and .....use one of these for a few years now....... it is a good reliable outer shell.....recommend.
Also use one of their other smocks for shooting.

Does not sweat inside.

Well made and good performance :thumbsup:

Ohhh decisions......decisions a? :rofl:

Oh you bad burger :sneaky::rofl: Will have a look at that bill lol

Whaaaaaat?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:sneaky: A do like that one to be honest :D also like the price lol. Now for the big questions .. what’s the movement like Bill ie restriction. And dose it rise up with moving lol strange I know but I hate things rising up my back or stopping me from moving my arms about freely lol. And how do the cuffs fit.

@1 shot willie

What size would you recommend buddy... am normally a large for jackets.. also you mean the smock elite 11 ?

The sizes are a bit weird Mark I ordered 3X XL and that leaves plenty of room to add layers if needs be 👍
The smock/jacket does not rise up your back....unless you intend swinging through the trees while wearing it.....IF you wear it:rofl:
The cuffs are Neoprene and secure with velcro.......have them as tight or as loose as you would like.
The hood is a beauty and is strengthened by wire......removable hood.
Movement is good.....shoulder a rifle with ease.

That’s a game changer that is :whistle: a cant swing through the trees??? Whaaat ! It’s Not very great jacket then bill?:rofl:

Can’t see anything I dislike about that :D
So you would say xl for me mate ?

That’s the one for me bill 👍

The Ridgeline do suffer from sparks or embers if you're having a wood fire. Burning a spitty bit of horse chestnut could be an expensive mistake.

That’s a game changer that is :whistle: a cant swing through the trees??? Whaaat ! It’s Not very great jacket then bill?:rofl:

Can’t see anything I dislike about that :D
So you would say xl for me mate ?

That’s the one for me bill 👍

Maybe best to ring the shop Mark and give them your measurements.
If it were wrong.....as long as the packaging is fairly intact I doubt there would be a problem changing it. :p:D

The smock I have is the older model Pro Elite with the different material........just noticed that.......so can't comment on the new one really.

Sorry about that mate......if you can find the older one you would be on a winner for sure.

Give them a ring to see if they are still available.....I would think they are.

Last edited:
The Ridgeline do suffer from sparks or embers if you're having a wood fire. Burning a spitty bit of horse chestnut could be an expensive mistake.

He could always spend the best part of £500 on a canvas one mate :rofl:

To be fair all of the kit we use outdoors is bang in line for accidents....rips....tears.....its the nature of what we do.
Most damage can be repaired with a bit of thought and imagination.:thumbsup:

To be fair all of the kit we use outdoors is bang in line for accidents....rips....tears.....its the nature of what we do.

Please send all torn/ripped items of outdoor equipment & apparel to @1 shot willie P.O Box...............:D;)

I'm a big fan of canvass, ventile cotton and rip-stop cotton. it's much easier to patch and modify and it's far more resistant to burns or damage. Their downsides are that they're heavier and not perfectly waterproof (then again, I'm not made of sugar) I also prefer wool mid and base layers as opposed fleece and technical fibres...

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of canvass, ventile cotton and rip-stop cotton. it's much easier to patch and modify and it's far more resistant to burns or damage. Their downsides are that they're heavier and not perfectly waterproof (then again, I'm not made of sugar) I also prefer wool mid and base layers as opposed fleece and technical fibres...

Becoming founder of wool as a base layer also... stayed away from it for years as it use to itch like mad. But after a few suggestions from members av tried it again and it’s fine.. merino wool right enough lol but it’s a step in the right directions

I've got my 'sunday best' gear but I've also got other stuff I've acquired along the way too. If I'm planning on having a fire I'll take an old Navy fouly instead of my bezzy jacket. It's not the end of the world if it gets a hole in it.

Am always getting moaned at for wearing good gear for work in the garden shed etc lol.... to me..and this may sound daft to some .but when I buy something that costs a fair bit of money I don’t think about the what ifs lol. I just wear and do. If my new jacket gets ripped or burnt (depends on the damage) I just get on with it lol. It’s bought for the intent of use.....i do try and look after my gear but clothes am not really bothered to much. I still have a jumper I’ve had for 7 years that looks like moths have had an orgy on :rofl:

Back