• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
There is rather more to the production of flax but the lady shown in the video is obviously highly skilled at spinning to create such fine and even threads.
The wheel can also be used to combine three strands of heavier twine in the opposite direction to make much stronger cordage that can be combined into rope using a ropewalk. Each time twisted in the opposing direction to lock the fibres into place.
Plant fibres from a variety of sources used to be used in the making of pretty much everything. I'm sorry to say that its replacements like nylon and rayon are an environmental disaster.

There is rather more to the production of flax but the lady shown in the video is obviously highly skilled at spinning to create such fine and even threads.
The wheel can also be used to combine three strands of heavier twine in the opposite direction to make much stronger cordage that can be combined into rope using a ropewalk. Each time twisted in the opposing direction to lock the fibres into place.
Plant fibres from a variety of sources used to be used in the making of pretty much everything. I'm sorry to say that its replacements like nylon and rayon are an environmental disaster.

My wife spins & weaves so we won't run out of clothing. I have done both but am not as good as my wife. I also fingerweave.
Keith.

Back