• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Flint and steel

Branno17

Slightly Talkative
This mateys is bloody impossible got fire kit today set up as stated flint pointing sharp edge uphill strike down over and over again not one spark and now no sharp edges on flint stick with rod as flint is impossible watched all utubers but that’s not real life not me anyway any tips

First tip, maybe pop into the intro thread and say hi ? apart from that, sorry never tried the flint method.......................yet ;)

Not used char or punk wood het learning to get visible spark first whic idnt hsppening

Yes but t
Yes

Attachments

• 15208848820301351690929.jpg
    15208848820301351690929.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 105
That flint looks pants Branno.....maybe why you are struggling mate.
I think a few of the lads on here have good supplies and may post you a piece??..........anyone help????

I think a few of the lads on here have good supplies and may post you a piece??..........anyone help????
Ive always used ferro rods no probs but this flint cane with the steel and hemp bag and tinder but ive seen more sparks of a nylon shirt cant call the kit as i dont know wether im at fault or the flint but all its doing is knocking of all the sharp edges matey

I think a few of the lads on here have good suppmorlies and may post you a piece??..........anyone help????
Morning chaps update received bag 5 pieces English flint
Ive always used ferro rods no probs but this flint cane with the steel and hemp bag and tinder but ive seen more sparks of a nylon shirt cant call the kit as i dont know wether im at fault or the flint but all its doing is knocking of all the sharp edges matey
Morning all update recieved off internet today bag 5 pieces English flint I have used every piece and not one spark now all blunt and useless so it’s me I’ve watched loads of utube s you lads must have magic stones and strikers as it doesn’t work for me so I’ve given up the only way is ferro rods or swan Vesta matches don’t know why don’t pack up all together fo being a dummy

Feeling your pain mate :D.....for the hell of it....try the edge of an old file on the flint :thumbsup: it might be the Steel that is at fault? :)

Last edited:
Works with file so striker not hard enough would you quench in oil or water
Any help chaps xx

Some vids say oil others say water but all don’t recommend tempering after hardening ?????

The possible reason is the steel has a low carbon element Branno......might pay to stick with a piece of the file....or buy another steel with more carbon in it:thumbsup:

For quenching when in doubt go oil. Most high carbon steels will crack when quenched in water...

how red does it have to be or just heat it up till it loses its magnatisim is that right

Back