• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Flint Steel and Char Cloth

Joecole

Very Obsessed
IMG_20200927_103549.jpg

How many of you carry this in your kit and how proficient are you in using it?

I carry char cloth Joe but rarely use it, its just another option.
Yep it works very well with a fero rod Andy but being the boring old fart that I am I still like to keep my hand in using the old traditional methods. Incidentally what cloth do you use for your char? Personally pieces of denim have always worked for me and I can usually get an ember within 3 strikes

Denim for me too Joe, its thick enough to keep its shape after being 'cooked'. Nearly 'pulled the trigger' a couple times on ebay for a steel, I daresay I will one of these days but I've got plenty options and I generally use a lighter rather than a ferro rod anyway.

Denim for me too Joe, its thick enough to keep its shape after being 'cooked'. Nearly 'pulled the trigger' a couple times on ebay for a steel, I daresay I will one of these days but I've got plenty options and I generally use a lighter rather than a ferro rod anyway.
And what happens when your half way up Nevis freezing your balls off in a blizzard and your lighter has run out

I use flint, steel and tinderbox on a regular basis over winter but also ferrocium rods, bics and matches. My steel is based on one of Keith Burgess's photos.

I have a magical relationship with my flint and steel...I usually only take it for a multi night trip and for some reason I've never got round to starting a fire with it..Too lazy probably. But I've been asked many times, "What's that? "

Allow me to demonstrate...And sure enough two or three strikes and I've got an ember every time !! ...

Good Sussex flint, proper steel, a piece of Amadou and denim char cloth..never failed me, at least in a demo....
anim_59.gif
DSC00121.JPG
DSC00122.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 283
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 93
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 15
I have a magical relationship with my flint and steel...I usually only take it for a multi night trip and for some reason I've never got round to starting a fire with it..Too lazy probably. But I've been asked many times, "What's that? "

Allow me to demonstrate...And sure enough two or three strikes and I've got an ember every time !! ...

Good Sussex flint, proper steel, a piece of Amadou and denim char cloth..never failed me, at least in a demo....
anim_59.gif
View attachment 22616View attachment 22617
Yep good old Sussex flint I see you have the little jute bag as well

Attachments

• anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 94
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 19
That's the Amadou Joe, the dried inner layer of Horse Hoof Fungi. I didn't prepare it, someone gave me it as a gift, it takes a spark without fail, glows like a good 'un too.

That's the Amadou Joe, the dried inner layer of Horse Hoof Fungi. I didn't prepare it, someone gave me it as a gift, it takes a spark without fail, glows like a good 'un too.
I know all about Amadou Sax, just fluff it up a bit and it's good to go

Just make sure it's a bit of high carbon steel Mark

got a bit of in the shed joe, nice wee project when I finely get round to do it lol, got some pellet tins to make the char cloth, used them a couple of years back and they worked a treat. Just need to get some flint 👍🏻

got a bit of in the shed joe, nice wee project when I finely get round to do it lol, got some pellet tins to make the char cloth, used them a couple of years back and they worked a treat. Just need to get some flint 👍🏻
I've got your address written down somewhere so I'm sure I can send you some flint

Reactions: Bam

The first pellet tin I used was aluminium, it worked but gave up the second time. A steel tin works better if you can get one, then it should last as long as you'll need it.

The first pellet tin I used was aluminium, it worked but gave up the second time. A steel tin works better if you can get one, then it should last as long as you'll need it.
I use a small golden syrup tin that way my cloth fits nicely cross with in my baccy tin

I mainly use the tinderbox for extinguishing tinder without crushing it and damaging the structure of the charred edge of the fabric. Aluminium pellet tins are ok for that, as are the 50g baccy tins as long as they're air tight...neither are any good for cooking the char cloth in though as they have a rubber seal in the lid and the modern pellet tins are too flimsy. Like Joe, I heat my char cloth in anther tin (an old Jacob's biscuit tin) and transfer it into a baccy tin once it's cooled.

Back