• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
This post is in response to earlier requests for more information on firearms. I do NOT consider my guns to be weapons, I think of them as tools, but of course they can be used for defence as well as hunting & in the case of a flintlock, the lock can be used to make fire.
FLINTLOCK_RIFLE_006_REDUCED.jpg

My .32 caliber flintlock rifle with double set triggers. Very economical to use & has more power than a .22 LR.
Fusil_17_6_2016_001_REDUCED.jpg

My .62 caliber smoothbore flintlock fusil with a 42 inch barrel. This gun can digest bird shot, buckshot or round ball or any combination of two of these together.
PISTOL_7_1_REDUCED.jpg

My .70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol with a left hand lock & a cannon barrel. This is as versatile as my fusil & can use the same caliber ammunition. Smoothbores can also use paper cartridges for faster reloading.

Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

1) Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent caliber firearm.

2) The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies).

3) The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.

4) You can vary the load if needs be.

5) The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.

6) Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.

7) You can make your own gunpowder.

8) You can use the lock to make fire without the need for gunpowder.

9) You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.

10) IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.

11) If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.

12) You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.

13) Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.

14) Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.

15) Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of caliber (NSW)

16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks.

17) Damage from a .62 caliber-.75 caliber pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.

18) By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.

19) There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.

20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.

The rifle and Pistol club where I shoot my Bows have a Black powder section, and I must say I am tempted.

The rifle and Pistol club where I shoot my Bows have a Black powder section, and I must say I am tempted.
A bow & a flintlock are a good combination. I must get back to finishing my self bow.
Keith.

A bow & a flintlock are a good combination. I must get back to finishing my self bow.
Keith.
You're not going to believe this Keith, but Flinlocks are banned because of the fire risk!!!! I kid you not mate, so it's Percussion cap I'm afraid. That Pedersoli Hawken looks nice though;)

what do you mean "sometimes"? I despair ALL the time the way this country is going, NHS, housing, roads etc. the whole bloody system is breaking down, but can most people see it? can they hell.

You're not going to believe this Keith, but Flinlocks are banned because of the fire risk!!!! I kid you not mate, so it's Percussion cap I'm afraid. That Pedersoli Hawken looks nice though;)
Well that just goes to prove that the powers that be are totally ignorant of which they talk about. The threat of fire does not come from the flash in the pan, it comes from the burning patches or wads fired from the gun/rifle. You can use a "wet patch" or a greased patch, I have not seen either smouldering. I use leather wads for that reason. Someone should write a letter to your firearms department & give them the facts.
If fire coming from the gun were the problem, then they ought to fire a 12 gauge breech-loader at night & see what happens!
Keith.

The club is situated in an old Warehouse and has Concrete floors and walls (slaps head with hand).
Okay, so this is a club rule & not legislation http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/general/gunlaw.htm

I think you will find that the fire hazard is merely an excuse to ban muzzle-loading guns from a breach-loading range. I had a similar problem here & moved to a Black Powder club. People like this tend to be up themselves & don't like smelly black powder guns. You should join a group like the Greens Rangers, not sure if they are in your neck of the woods. They carry all sorts of yummy 18th century equipment & weapons including muzzle-loaders.
Keith.

Back