• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Flounder on Fly

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Grabbed a couple of hours down at the beach this morning.
The object was to try out the new fly rod and hopefully catch a Flounder.
Tide was on the turn coming in.
Few dog walkers and joggers about but not to bad.

The water looked good, clear and flat.......ideal for sight casting too.
The rod is a lot slower action than I am used to but after a few casts, I got the feel of it.
Using an Annis Shrimp fly.

Spent about 2 hrs with not a touch......... won't be put off though as it was a relaxing outing.

DSC03182.JPG

The estuary looking up the river.

DSC03181.JPG

Hi Rob.

Yes, Carp would be fun :D

Few flys here mate might....... be of interest :thumbsup:

What will you go for rod wise 8/10#?

Not to bad bill. No fish you say:whistle: I wouldn’t know anything about that :rofl: better luck next time mate.

What line was u using?

Not to bad bill. No fish you say:whistle: I wouldn’t know anything about that :rofl: better luck next time mate.

What line was u using?

I just knew revenge would be sweet for you :p:sneaky::D

Using an Intermediate line with a super fast sinking poly leader Mark.........4/5 inches a second....tippet is a 12lb fluorocarbon :thumbsup:

Got your trip planned yet? ;)

Oh yes I have been waiting on a little revenge:sneaky::rofl: won’t push my luck though as it has a habit of biting me back :p so I will say.....tight lines mate for next time. You know for karma and all that :rofl:

Thought it would be something along them lines mate. I Use a fast sinking line on the lock. Not tidal but even the lowest of winds can wave the water. Proper muck up your line. Looks forward to the results :thumbsup: (if any:sneaky:) slipped out bill soz :D

Every time I plan “the trip” lol something happens. Few jobs to do for friends first and am off fishing. Not sure when. But soon bill:D

Cheers:thumbsup:

Will you be eating the flounders bill? My aunt use to cook them for us years ago. Good eating mate:thumbsup:

Hi Rob.

Yes, Carp would be fun :D

Few flys here mate might....... be of interest :thumbsup:

What will you go for rod wise 8/10#?

I’ll be fishing my usual small pond , hoping to take carp off fake bread or dog biscuit flies , i’m Gonna try floating line with my 7 foot 3# Shakespeare sigma rod . I’m not an experienced fly fisher man so will see how I fare ......

I have some flies to try ......

2CCFF734-B7D2-40E1-94F1-B7546D7F6E23.jpeg

Looks like good sport , I'm interested to see how you get on.
I have some ideas about catching carp on the fly rod , you can get a fly that looks like a piece of bread !
Just South of Bridlington at Barmston the beach is very flat & shallow, we used to go there "Flattie" bashing Rob, it can get very clear too.

The heavier weight and longer the rod defines casting distance , I prefer shorter length and lighter , suits me for stalking fish. I can’t cast far either way !

I think they recommend 9 foot , 6-8weight for a beginner , I have one of those too .....

Back