• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fold-up wood burning stoves

Ian

Quite Obsessed
Again I have questions and ponderings.:rolleyes:

What is really getting to me about all this bushcraft kit is the prices:mad: like bivi/basha sheets costing nearly £40, sleeping bags well in excess of £150, rucksacks etc etc. By the time I'm kitted out I might as well have bought myself a damn caravan!!!!!

So, last night I was trawling the web for little folding wood stoves, the type that don't leave to much of a burnt patch when you're done. Bloody near £40 for a few pieces of metal that clip together! Eventually I stumbled upon this chap's great idea: Esbit Pocket Folding Stove with Windscreen Modifications

I know it's not as versatile as one of those honey stoves (or whatever they are called) but until the shops can start getting reasonable about how much they charge for this crap this is all I've got to work with.

So, a few questions. What do you guys use? Where can I get one of these Esbit stoves (from what I can gather they are like a Hexi stove just bigger) and is it really worth all the hassle or am I looking in the wrong direction.

I know about Trangia stoves, I bought a copy of one when I was a teenager, used it once to find it takes about a year to boil a kettle and I still have it in a cupboard. Also, meths is getting hard to get hold of these days (thankyou tramps and health and safety:rolleyes:)

This isn't just for bushcraft it could also be useful for work when I get stuck in the fields all day so I am open to any (cheap) suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Ian

get yourself down a couple of army surplus mate, artic doss bags £35ish, gortex bivvi £30-40,tarps£15-20, longjons and trousers £5-20,
as for stoves, get a hexi for a brew when by yourself or emergancy, otherwise just build a fire and use messtins or billycans,

this is "bushcraft" after all.............not "poshcraft" :cool:

but i know what ya mean, when buying kit from scratch it soon adds up, but when you've got it, you can go anywhere,anytime and for free (mostly)

used to have a decent army surplus near me but they went all posh with proper camping gear:(

Maybe I should try to get out there with a basha (still trying to find a cheap one) and a decent sleeping bag and just see what else I think I need rather than prowling the internet late at night like a kid watching the toy adverts on Saturday morning telly (Ooooh, I want one of those and one of those and TWO of those:D):eek:

There should be a name for it but "kit obsession" is all I can think of for now.

Back