• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Folding saws, general discussion.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
My Gerber folding multi saw (swappable wood and bone blades) and my large retractable Fiskars saw.
A full review on these two to be posted shortly guys ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have just bought myself a new laplander. It is a complete beast and proper does the trick! Nice Gerber.

Hi Clint.

Sorry to hear you ended up with a crappy one :(
The ones I make are formed from 2 / 2.5mm Premium veg tan leather.:thumbsup:

Replied to your PM mate.

Looks good Wild :)
Its amazing how much wood you can prepare with these little saws in a fairly short amount of time.
Another fan of the Silky here:thumbsup:

Sounds like theres a few decent ones out there... i moght have to start a collection. Im definitly happy with my laplander so far.

I bought a Silky in preparation for the Summer Gathering event. Not had much eperiance with any others, but I thought that the Silky was exceptional when cutting. Generally cut through 4" branches with very little dificulty or effort on my part.......good job Hachet was not using it:)

Bill - a sheath for it is on my shopping list along with other bits I would like you to do for me. Will PM you after my USA trip as might come back with some new goodies:)

I bought a Silky in preparation for the Summer Gathering event. Not had much eperiance with any others, but I thought that the Silky was exceptional when cutting. Generally cut through 4" branches with very little dificulty or effort on my part.......good job Hachet was not using it:)

Bill - a sheath for it is on my shopping list along with other bits I would like you to do for me. Will PM you after my USA trip as might come back with some new goodies:)

Hi John.

No problem at all mate....when you are ready just give me a shout :thumbsup::)

Bump; I like this one, I've had it a while now...rare as rocking horse poo. I could send it up to Mark to get a belt sheath made for it but he wouldn't be able to bring himself to send it back šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Bump; I like this one, I've had it a while now...rare as rocking horse poo. I could send it up to Mark to get a belt sheath made for it but he wouldn't be able to bring himself to send it back šŸ˜‚
Guess its got a very short 'pull', better than nothing of course.

Guess its got a very short 'pull', better than nothing of course.
I think it's designed more for dressing meat more than woodwork Andy. I have had a few very short pocket saws like this and the Opinel designed for cutting bone very cleanly. I have a laplander as a camping saw but for cutting firewood I always prefer a proper bowsaw that cuts in both directions.

After using a Laplander for general small stuff and liking it it struggled on more substantial stuff, of course, do I bought a Silky Bigboy, it is an absolute joy to use, it is a draw saw so cuts on the back stroke, goes through 4 5 and 6 inch limbs with ease, not to heavy or big for back packing, love it.

Back