• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
From experience, the most important thing to remember when dehydrating is consistency in all things. Food is of equal size/thickness, temperature is controlled and even, drying area is covered evenly. If you remember consistency you can't fail. You don't need to fill the dehydrator, but obviously it's more economical if you do.
If you don't have enough of one thing to fill it, you can mix and match. As long as what you want to dehydrate can be dried at the same temerature for the same time you can fill it with whatever you want.
For those of you who don't have their own garden, frozen veg is a great source for dehydrating. It's all prepared and ready to go. You just need to factor in a bit of extra time for defrosting.

I had one of the Von Chef oblong ones, it broke.... so... I bought a Vittini round one (cheaper) and so far it's doing fine. It has 5 trays, temp control and timer, and a small footprint.

I had one of the Von Chef oblong ones, it broke.... so... I bought a Vittini round one (cheaper) and so far it's doing fine. It has 5 trays, temp control and timer, and a small footprint.
What sort of power does it consume?

It's rated at 245W, UK Mains... less than 5p per hour I'd say. I use it a lot (at least 15 per week) so at that if it fails, I've still had my money's worth.

Could I use it over two days pausing the cycle overnight? I've only got solar and I wouldn't want to drain batteries overnight.

I have an Andrew James model,round with 5 trays.Cost 23 quid from e bay three years ago. Does the business.

It's rated at 245W, UK Mains... less than 5p per hour I'd say. I use it a lot (at least 15 per week) so at that if it fails, I've still had my money's worth.

See post 16 ;)

We dry everything over or in our wood burning stove. We use the heater too in winter.
Keith.
Dried Apple 002 REDUCED.jpg
Roasted pumpkin Seeds 005 #2 REDUCED.jpg

Back