• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Food

lovelife82

Extremely Talkative
Hey guys,

When you go camping/wild camping for a weekend. What do you take for food and what’s the best way to keep it cold if it’s fresh food? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Amanda :)

Oh Wow! you've really asked a question now!
I generally take a mixture of home dehydrated meals, shop bought dried/instant/ ambient and fresh. If I'm camping, I try to pick somewhere near a shop for fresh stuff and buy as I need it.
I'm sure the lads will pipe in and give you more ideas. I've got a load of camping recipes if you're interested.

Oh Wow! you've really asked a question now!
I generally take a mixture of home dehydrated meals, shop bought dried/instant/ ambient and fresh. If I'm camping, I try to pick somewhere near a shop for fresh stuff and buy as I need it.
I'm sure the lads will pipe in and give you more ideas. I've got a load of camping recipes if you're interested.

Hey, thanks and yeah, I would definitely be interested. Do you want to send me a direct message? Thanks :)

Here's a link to the Go-Outdoors camping cookbooks (free downloads)

Link from the Hippy Homemaker

and a link to Trail recipes blog

I've tried a few from each of these and they all turned out fine. :)

Here's a link to the Go-Outdoors camping cookbooks (free downloads)

Link from the Hippy Homemaker

and a link to Trail recipes blog

I've tried a few from each of these and they all turned out fine. :)

Good stuff @Brambling beats bacon, egg & sausage & egg, sausage & bacon & sausage, bacon & egg @Matt :D;)

Everything that you need for tea and coffee (dried milk lasts well if you can keep it from getting damp)👍
Burned porridge is a traditional breakfast.🙄
They may mock eggs and bacon but both will last reasonably well over a short camping trip without refrigeration....excellent with a tin of beans!😂
Eventually you might be reduced to trying the Kendal mint cake and going into sugar shock.😖
Remove the inner cardboard tube from a toilet roll so that it takes up less room in your pack for that luxurious little reminder of home. (That also wants to go in a dry bag as there are few things more useless than a wet loo roll) ☹️

I like proper meals but this is dictated by type of camp , location ,hiking distance etc

Loads of camp ready meals , ex military rations etc but you can’t beat fresh ....

Use freezer packs to extend freshness , freeze food to travel and allow it to defrost on the trail ...

Loads of options , experiment and enjoy but remember that food is added to your base weight and can considerably up your weights as I know from experience !

Aye nothing like the Joy's of health benefits like good auld spam :grin-pig:

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_114459.jpg
    IMG_20190129_114459.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 112
Mash potato and corned beef fried in butter served with steamed cabbage and carrots....almost too healthy to be a guilty pleasure but still camp food.
Fresh shot rabbit, onions, mixed herbs and spices with sliced potatoes cooked in a rich gravy

I was going to suggest that Amanda took up shooting or snaring but I had my doubts about how well received it would be...I'm sure Luna would like some nice fresh bunny though.

I was going to suggest that Amanda took up shooting or snaring but I had my doubts about how well received it would be...I'm sure Luna would like some nice fresh bunny though.
You have to love fresh bunny

Lol. I’m fine with eating meat but not sure how I would feel killing it myself. I’m sure I could do it if i was in a survival situation but don’t think I could just for fun. I agree Luna would love it and would be licking her lips, I’m also sure she would be able to catch one herself if I let her off the lead. Although letting huskies off the lead is a no no lol. High prey drive and loving to run is a bad combination for off lead activities.

Lol. I’m fine with eating meat but not sure how I would feel killing it myself. I’m sure I could do it if i was in a survival situation but don’t think I could just for fun. I agree Luna would love it and would be licking her lips, I’m also sure she would be able to catch one herself if I let her off the lead. Although letting huskies off the lead is a no no lol. High prey drive and loving to run is a bad combination for off lead activities.
The majority of my shooting is absolutely necessary as the statistics show that six rabbits eat the same volume of grass as one sheep. While there is a certain satisfaction to being able to shoot well and humanely it's not really fun as such, it's probably more primal then that...plus I like fresh rabbit.

Back