• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Food

So basically, it will depend on budget, how high/far you have to carry it and what you like to eat. :lol:
Eat wild this time of year, plenty of edible leaves and wild garlic to make a salad, a bit of cheese and a slice of ham and get stuck in

Eat wild this time of year, plenty of edible leaves and wild garlic to make a salad, a bit of cheese and a slice of ham and get stuck in

in that case, add knowledge to the list as well. ;)

Hey guys,

When you go camping/wild camping for a weekend. What do you take for food and what’s the best way to keep it cold if it’s fresh food? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Amanda :)
I'm lucky enough to have a river running through my spot, so anything that needs to be kept cool, goes in an airtight box (the type with a rubber seal and lid clips) and that gets tied to the bank and left in the running water. Water temperature rarely gets above 4/5 degrees Celsius. Keeps milk fresh for about 4 days and has kept bacon and salami fresh for the same period of time.

I went foraging today in the land of Ye Olde Tesco and gathered some chicken to roast, baby potatoes, salad, all served with a home made tarragon dressing and washed down with a cheeky white :)

I went foraging today in the land of Ye Olde Tesco and gathered some chicken to roast, baby potatoes, salad, all served with a home made tarragon dressing and washed down with a cheeky white :)
Nice but you can keep the rabbit food

I'm a big fan of keeping down the food miles and buying local produce, its why I live within walking distance of a Tesco and Sainsbo's. :lol:

Still mostly go to Asda and Aldi's in the car right enough.

I forage at Tesco, Mrs works there on hot deli counter. The amount of chickens she cooks everyday is phenomenal! Its the cheapest place for us to shop ( colleague discount).

It's a shame we do not have more open street markets in the U. K.
Selling fresh home grown fruit and veg as they do in Spain... Cyprus.... Greece etc.
Most things just taste sooooo much better abroad.
Most of our stuff here is forced grown I think.

Last edited:
Selling fresh home grown fruit and veg as they do in Spain... Cyprus.... Greece etc.
Most of our stuff is forced grown I think.
Or fruit is simply picked before its ripe to allow for transit. They say it continues to ripen but in fact it doesn't. Once it's picked the sugars supplied by the parent plant are cut off and ripening is interrupted. It doesn't 'ripen in the bowl', it just rots.

Most of our stuff is forced grown I think.
I totally agree Bill
Or fruit is simply picked before its ripe to allow for transit. They say it continues to ripen but in fact it doesn't. Once it's picked the sugars supplied by the parent plant are cut off and ripening is interrupted. It doesn't 'ripen in the bowl', it just rots.
It needs to be picked and eaten on the same day, when I plant root seeds I plant quarter of a row,as soon as the seedlings appear the next quarter row goes in so Always nice and fresh

I do like to grow my own. I have done some this year but a lot of my seeds have failed and half of what I have grown has be destroyed by my budding garden assistant! (My 2 year old daughter India Rose)
Just realised down in short rows Jon, I find the best way is mixed seed for instance I sow carrots and radish together
Reddish germination is very quick so saves a lot of thinning out

I'm familiar with markets in Spain and Cyprus and the produce is often fantastic quality but refrigerated storage is thin on the ground so you need to buy and use within a day or two. I've still got two polytunnels to erect :oopsy: Had to prioritise, ham radio antennas first I'm afraid.

I'm familiar with markets in Spain and Cyprus and the produce is often fantastic quality but refrigerated storage is thin on the ground so you need to buy and use within a day or two. I've still got two polytunnels to erect :oopsy: Had to prioritise, ham radio antennas first I'm afraid.
Has to be done Harry

Back