• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Food

Problem I have Joe is that I'm not really a gardener. When I bought this place I had all sorts of plans, refurb, new electrics, new central heating, new kitchen, a minimalist approach to new furniture and achieved all of that. The polytunnels was a bit of a wim, I had a concrete base laid for an antenna tower and thought "Ohhh, lay the bases for polytunnels while the equipment and labour is here" I'll get there in the end but perhaps not this year.

Problem I have Joe is that I'm not really a gardener. When I bought this place I had all sorts of plans, refurb, new electrics, new central heating, new kitchen, a minimalist approach to new furniture and achieved all of that. The polytunnels was a bit of a wim, I had a concrete base laid for an antenna tower and thought "Ohhh, lay the bases for polytunnels while the equipment and labour is here" I'll get there in the end but perhaps not this year.
reading between the lines I assume the tunnels have concrete bases, so this year you could get some old scaffold boards and knock up some raised beds. The size depends on what you want to grow

Just realised down in short rows Jon, I find the best way is mixed seed for instance I sow carrots and radish together
Reddish germination is very quick so saves a lot of thinning out
Just planted out our pumpkins and my willow, got some butternut squash on the go too.
20190502_112654.jpg

Got some baby leaf salad we have done
20190502_112711.jpg

And still waiting on some others
20190502_112621.jpg

Looks like it's all going well mate, that looks like a nice bit of soil compared to my heavy clay
Oh it is now Joe, twas heavy clay it's taken a year to dig over mix in compost, gravel and sand. Keep getting dog mercury and this other plant invading. It's like mint but musty almost the smell of death. I like wild plants but with little one anything that's poisonous or that is unknown it's a goner

I'm familiar with markets in Spain and Cyprus and the produce is often fantastic quality but refrigerated storage is thin on the ground so you need to buy and use within a day or two. I've still got two polytunnels to erect :oopsy: Had to prioritise, ham radio antennas first I'm afraid.
If you get a chance I'd like an account of how you get on when you do your poly tunnels Bob. I'm thinking of doing one as part of a garden revamp.

Back