• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Footwear advice needed

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi all, my yds falcons have given up the ghost so am in need of a new pair of tyres. Been scanning around and have come across 3 pairs that are within my budget of £45.
The first is a pair of German Army Issue Meindl Para Mountain Boots

Then these

And finally these

So what do you folks think would be the best? I need waterproof, hardwearing, and comfortable, not too heavy.

Hi all, my yds falcons have given up the ghost so am in need of a new pair of tyres. Been scanning around and have come across 3 pairs that are within my budget of £45.
The first is a pair of German Army Issue Meindl Para Mountain Boots

Then these

And finally these

So what do you folks think would be the best? I need waterproof, hardwearing, and comfortable, not too heavy.
I'm probably biased Jon but for me it's Karrimore every time, I've had mine for four years plus now and they're as good as the day I first put them on, comfortable fully waterproof and not to heavy

What about a pair of haix surplus boots , can’t fault mine
5A6C08E4-E08F-418E-81CF-779347EF4E1D.png

I've got 2 pairs of the Diem boots, both the ones in your post and a lower cut pair. I think I'm correct in saying that they are really designed for fairly 'static' wear, when fishing for instance. I use them when camping or where I'm not walking any distance. They are good boots, not the lightest, but waterproof certainly, but I would not choose them for walking any distance.
I used them once when beating on a game shoot and found that the fabric does not like Brambles, or anything prickly as it seemed to 'Hook up' much more than other fabric boots I have worn.
Great for warmth and pottering around a campsite in a clearing for instance, or walkig a short distance to a spot on a river bank, but as all round heavy use boots I would say no. Go for something designed more for walking if civvie, or surplus / new Military boots.

I would go for Meindl or Haix, definitely not Karrimore these days ever since they were bought by sports direct (the evil empire)

I tend to agree, my last pair of post SD karrimor boots were poor and their customer service dept couldn’t have been less interested if they tried.

I have had several bargain pairs of military surplus boots from e-bay down the years.

I buy Supergrade as a rule & I examine the photos closely paying particular attention to the sole. I steer clear of any sellers using stock photos as you are taking more of a gamble if the picture is not the actual boots that you will receive.

As suggested the Haix ones are good as are boots made by Altberg, Meindl, Iturri & the Karrimor SF range (Steer clear of the standard Karrimor range as some of you chaps have already mentioned).

I will be wearing a pair of Karrimor SF boots on the Scotland trip. I got these on evil-bay & they are literally like new. I was amazed at the condition of them to be honest & for £45 delivered it was a no brainer.

Upon receipt they are sprayed inside with an anti-fungal spray & I replace the insoles straight away along with the laces if they look a bit worn. Polished up with some Leder Gris & they are good to go ! :thumbsup:

I would also search e-bay for hiking boots & walking boots in your size as this sometimes throws up the odd bargain.

Other makes to look out for include Lowa, Brasher, Berghaus, Aku, Scarpa, Zamberlan & Mammut.

Happy hunting ! :)

I have had several bargain pairs of military surplus boots from e-bay down the years.

I buy Supergrade as a rule & I examine the photos closely paying particular attention to the sole. I steer clear of any sellers using stock photos as you are taking more of a gamble if the picture is not the actual boots that you will receive.

As suggested the Haix ones are good as are boots made by Altberg, Meindl, Iturri & the Karrimor SF range (Steer clear of the standard Karrimor range as some of you chaps have already mentioned).

I will be wearing a pair of Karrimor SF boots on the Scotland trip. I got these on evil-bay & they are literally like new. I was amazed at the condition of them to be honest & for £45 delivered it was a no brainer.

Upon receipt they are sprayed inside with an anti-fungal spray & I replace the insoles straight away along with the laces if they look a bit worn. Polished up with some Leder Gris & they are good to go ! :thumbsup:

I would also search e-bay for hiking boots & walking boots in your size as this sometimes throws up the odd bargain.

Other makes to look out for include Lowa, Brasher, Berghaus, Aku, Scarpa, Zamberlan & Mammut.

Happy hunting ! :)

Good advice 👍
The boots I have barring being broken in are in superb condition , there a bargains to be had 😁

There is an eBay seller called bootgirl81, comes recommended by others although I haven’t bought from her myself .

I am less impressed with my recent purchase of Scarpa boots than I'd hoped, my last pair of Mamut got a new pair of insoles and are almost as good as new...my Meindl dovre extreme are probably on their last legs as the heels are almost worn away but since they take my crampons so well I'll put them by in case of bad weather. All are still absolutely fine as far as waterproofing and the uppers are concerned and I practically live in those boots.

Reactions: Bam
Thanks for the advice folks, be a week or so before I buy anything but much to be considered in the meantime

Another name for the hat is Lowa; I have lowa non goretex patrol boots and they are without doubt the best boots I have ever had.

Strange, the worst boots I've had in a while were Lowa desert boots...they virtually dissolved .....actually no, the worst were Millets own brand, returned split wide open after just a month.

Anyone had a pair of bates brown boots? Got my eyes on a pair and wondering if they are worth it?
Screenshot_2020-02-05-11-22-07-1.png

Under the new system soldiers are supposed to get two types of boots; a “field boot” for exercises and ops and a “camp boot” which is designed to be comfy walking around barracks; going to lessons, working in an office and generally not being used in arduous conditions. The Bates boot is a camp boot along the lines of a magnum lightweight boot so I’d avoid them for outdoor use.

Under the new system soldiers are supposed to get two types of boots; a “field boot” for exercises and ops and a “camp boot” which is designed to be comfy walking around barracks; going to lessons, working in an office and generally not being used in arduous conditions. The Bates boot is a camp boot along the lines of a magnum lightweight boot so I’d avoid them for outdoor use.

Didn’t know that but makes perfect sense , they do look a bit soft 🤔

Danner arcadias were the boot of choice for a while however they went out of fashion for dismounted infantry once we realised that they take an age to dry (like all lined Gore-Tex boots) once wet.

Reactions: Bam
Back