• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

For those with woodburners

All the wood we use is well seasoned and I have a small meter which tells me the water content. I try to get it below 20% before use on the wood burner. Regulation had to come eventually. I have not used coal for 10 years. Going to be difficult to police as lots of people cut their own wood and hopefully dry it for at least a year before use. I watch with interest.

Reactions: Bam
What gets me, and I know am tipping this of topic slightly, but again the government are passing buy true pollution and offering this up as them trying to battle the problem. It’s a smoke screen (pun intended lol)

What gets me, and I know am tipping this of topic slightly, but again the government are passing buy true pollution and offering this up as them trying to battle the problem. It’s a smoke screen (pun intended lol)

While I can see it being an issue in built up areas like London, there are parts of the country where its not going to matter. Not that the crack police 'smoke gestapo' will be hammering doors down any time soon.

I'm more concerned about the gradual delusion that somehow solar and wind lecky will power everything including the gazillions of lecky powered cars we're all going to be driving soon.....

While I can see it being an issue in built up areas like London, there are parts of the country where its not going to matter. Not that the crack police 'smoke gestapo' will be hammering doors down any time soon.

I'm more concerned about the gradual delusion that somehow solar and wind lecky will power everything including the gazillions of lecky powered cars we're all going to be driving soon.....

Hopefully they will replace the parking meters with charging points for the cars 🤔😂

Couldn't agree more

At staff college we were told that the future would probably be fuel cell technology not batteries which were very much the end of current tech. Solar, hydro and wind (and nuclear which is the elephant in the room) could provide the stored electricity to split hydrogen required from water which can the be burnt cleanly (the byproduct is water).

In terms of this ban it won’t stop anyone burning what they want; it is designed to control what people sell.

Hopefully they will replace the parking meters with charging points for the cars 🤔😂

One of my neighbours is evangelical about lecky cars, was recently discussing it all with him. I was cynical that the country would be in a position to bin selling diesel and petrol cars by 2035 (still am) and one of the strands of my logic was that it was fine if you have your own drive/parking space to charge your car, how would it work if you live in a city in flats. He reckoned there would be charging points dotted along the pavement and even in cinemas etc. He also mentioned there's work being done on similar stuff to charging your phone by placing it on top of a charger.

I'm still dubious that we'll be able to make enough lecky, we're shutting down the fossil fuel stations which are on standby at the moment and as 38 says, the other option is nuclear which apart from being a bit pricey is unpopular, they definitely need to run a 'super sweet' PR campaign, France is full of the nuclear lecky after coal miner strikes crippled the country and it works for them.

If we're serious about all this 'saving the planet' stuff, sorry, its going to have to be a mass cull of the worst offenders, we'll all have to take a ticket in that lucky dip, its us First World types that are the biggest culprits. :eek:

Back