• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Foraging in the garden

Baytree

Quite Addicted
Foraging in your own garden , or to put it another way edible weeds found in the garden.
A few years ago we were fostering and part of that process is to have a health and safety check on one's property including the garden. One thing that the inspector was looking for ( despite being a little clueless about the subject) was poisoness plants . We have very few and I said pretty much most are edible even a lot of the weeds which pretty much went over her head.
As I work as a handyman/gardener I find myself not only in my own but in other people's gardens and have opportunities to forage if that's the right word to use in this context.
Now to the point of this post , edible weeds. What common weeds do members on here make use of? For myself I pick jack by the hedge or garlic mustard , sorrel and chickweed all of which fill out a cheese sandwich. Currrently I'm picking quite a bit of rosebay willow herb as once dried it makes a very decent tea that actually tastes like "proper" tea. I also quite often find people have chives just for their flowers and wild strawberries are quite common and I think most people dismiss them as they are so small. I have tried dandelions although have always found them a little bitter. I have however made dandelion cofffee which while I don't drink it myself my wife said it was decent enough.
So what other edible weeds do people eat or use?

Another few l have tried include: fat hen, goose grass (also known as cleavers, sticky jack and any number of other names), wild garlic (ramsons), elderflowers make a refreshing infusion (and l use the berries for wine - there is some fermenting beside me as l type). l also tried hairy bittercress but found it too bitter. Don't forget nettles which have any number of uses and have been eaten chez Barbara as soup, in scones and bread and also to make wine and beer. l always think it's amazing how much edible stuff is so near but not used by most people who like it supermarket fresh, wrapped in plastic and probably flown half way round the world.

Opps forgot about the nettles . We've eaten them and nettle beer is another one of those things on my "to do " list.
Cleavers also , we call them sticky willy for some reason. My daughter's friend thought we were having her on when we said edible and tastes of cucumber but she did eventually try it.

Back