• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Found a knife

Gazza2210

Slightly Talkative
Hi, I am new to this forum and just looking for information. Found this knife in an empty house and I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is of any value and what it is. It says widder solingen Germany on the blade. Thanks
20180306_113619.jpg

Hi Gazza.

Please introduce yourself in the "Welcome section" of the forum tell us a bit about yourself.
It will give members the opportunity to welcome you properly to the fold.:thumbsup:

The knife actually looks like a bayonet that someone has cobbled together into a knife??........not sure though :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If that were the case.....whoever did it made a good job.

Hi Gazza.

Please introduce yourself in the "Welcome section" of the forum tell us a bit about yourself.
It will give members the opportunity to welcome you properly to the fold.:thumbsup:

The knife actually looks like a bayonet that someone has cobbled together into a knife??........not sure though :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If that were the case.....whoever did it made a good job.
Its reminiscent of a first war saw back German bayonet Bill and soling produce very good steel

Is the curved upper leading edge sharp or thick and blunt.

If the latter then it would support the bayonet theory with the presence of a rib splitter for insertion along with the blood channels to ease extraction!

It's a Large Bowie made by Solinger, the wide in todays knife terms means 'large' your knife was either made in Germany in the solingen factory or it was made in china under a solinger manufacturing contract, the handle looks genuine stag but i could be wrong and it may be plastic if so its defiantly a Chinese made solingen
Value: either German or Chinese made it's not worth a lot as it is (maybe £20) if it was as new with the sheath and box and it would be worth £150-£250.
DONT restore or clean it until you know for sure it's value, it could very well be a very rare knife, I've not personally seen your knife before. My advise is to post the knife on uk and world wide knife forums to get a full valuation and history.

It's a Large Bowie made by Solinger, the wide in todays knife terms means 'large' your knife was either made in Germany in the solingen factory or it was made in china under a solinger manufacturing contract, the handle looks genuine stag but i could be wrong and it may be plastic if so its defiantly a Chinese made solingen
Value: either German or Chinese made it's not worth a lot as it is (maybe £20) if it was as new with the sheath and box and it would be worth £150-£250.
DONT restore or clean it until you know for sure it's value, it could very well be a very rare knife, I've not personally seen your knife before. My advise is to post the knife on uk and world wide knife forums to get a full valuation and history.
I've blown the original photo up Lee and can discount the bayonet theory because the knife has a rat tail tang which you wont find on a bayonet. I also think the handle is stag , a simple test is to heat the end of a stretched out paper clip ad touch it to the handle

Could be a bayonet joe. It has the characteristics of trench art. Couple of examples
A5B5D818-BE3B-4715-A094-19DCBAE29C01.jpeg
9FDFDB0F-4930-4ADB-98EB-889B2A47AEAE.jpeg
04D2D154-83B5-4ED0-8AC2-810AB576D21D.jpeg

The bevel has been curved up at the drop point ...it’s not consistent to the rest of the bevel. The saw like pattern running down the spine has inconsistencies that suggested it was a hand file. Or am talking through a hole in my you know what :rofl:

If it’s trench art the it could be worth a pretty penny:thumbsup:definitely get it valued

https://www.valuemystuff.com/en/home

Try this. It’s worth finding out mate.

Do you know how hard it is not to make an offer on this knife it’s taking all my willpower :whistle: :D

Good pictures Mark :thumbsup:

At the moment I am still not convinced it is not a bayonet that has been modded by someone.

So my vote remains for now.....Bayonet conversion :whistle::rofl:

I done the test with heating the paper clip and it didn't make a mark, it does feel like genuine stag aswell. I have attached some closer images aswell.
20180307_105552.jpg
20180307_105600.jpg
20180307_105618.jpg

Forgot to mention It's most likely a Linder, only realised I forgot to say the make after looking at the further pics lol

It’s a rare knife you have whatever it’s is. I have never seen one like it. If there is a museum near you take it there. Before you do make an appointment firs don’t just stroll up with it. They mite give u a valuation or at least more info on what it’s is. I would strongly recommend finding out all about it before excepting any offer of money.

Now gazza lol. A nice introduction in the welcom thread. And you can also keep us updated on the knife :thumbsup:

We have to know who is right about what it is. Bragging right you see:rofl:

I don't know of any museums or that around me to b honest. Might sound like a silly question but as I don't have an experience with knives. How does.it go with me transporting it places? As ur not allowed to be in possssion of a blade in public as I'm aware?
It’s a rare knife you have whatever it’s is. I have never seen one like it. If there is a museum near you take it there. Before you do make an appointment firs don’t just stroll up with it. They mite give u a valuation or at least more info on what it’s is. I would strongly recommend finding out all about it before excepting any offer of money.

Now gazza lol. A nice introduction in the welcom thread. And you can also keep us updated on the knife :thumbsup:

We have to know who is right about what it is. Bragging right you see:rofl:

I don't know of any museums or that around me to b honest. Might sound like a silly question but as I don't have an experience with knives. How does.it go with me transporting it places? As ur not allowed to be in possssion of a blade in public as I'm aware?
Wrap it up well and then tape up the wrapping and take it in a bag

Transportation is an issue. If you mean to get it valued or information on it. Make an appointment before taking the knife this will give a reason to have it on your person in public. As joe said wrapping it up and putting it in a back pack is a good idea. Are you ove 18 ? If not make sure you have a responsible adult with you! Other than getting it valued or taking it to someone who knows about knifes don’t take it out the house

Any ideas of good places to post?
Hi Gazza a good place to post is right at the top of the first page on the forum where you can pull a log up to the fire and tell us a bit about yourself:)

Back