• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

found it at last

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
Back a few years me and @gavin were on 1 of our Highlands trips and as we drove into a village/town we came up behind this procession ...

both of us were sat grinning at each other with goose bumps on our arms .... the sound was amazing and i,ll never forget the experience and im sure i can speak for gav as well

Been on a few parades with the Scots Regiments.....and shared a few beers with them :)

The pipes and drums have struck fear into many an enemy through the years and during battles.

Huge fan also :thumbsup:

Love the sound too, was treat to a display similar years ago in a small town called Moffat, just outta the blue as we were sat in a pub we heard them strike up, mind blown, and as said, imagine years gone by going to war at the sound, and imagine the enemy being confronted by not only tat but iirc the willy flashing to intimidate also, sorry @1 shot willie not implying it was you................................and que the ribbing ;)

Love the massed bands...but...a kind of Scottish music has specially painful memories for me. First trip to sea, Deck Boy 1961. I was in a bar in Jacksonville, Florida. Too young for alcohol, I was with my watch mate Andy...5 feet 3 inches tall and from Glasgow. He said he came from Oosterhoose, which I think was Easter House. I believe only the soles of his feet did not have Scottish theme tattoos on.....

A big gobby local (6' 4" tall) played a record on the Juke Box...it was a current comedy hit by Andy Stewart, "Donald where's yer Troosers?" He also made some snide remarks about Britain and Scotland in particular

I wasn't happy and Andy, known as Little Mac, took serious umbrage, the battle look came into his eyes and soon it was us two against 5 or 6 Puerto Rican/Americans...We both sustained some battle damage but were still standing when the bar owner produced a short barrelled shotgun and threatened to shoot the next person to throw something.

I still have a wonky finger on my right hand that I broke that day...Love the pipes and drums...and when I read that Andy Stewart's song was a hit...yes it was..multiple hits....:rofl:

Love the massed bands...but...a kind of Scottish music has specially painful memories for me. First trip to sea, Deck Boy 1961. I was in a bar in Jacksonville, Florida. Too young for alcohol, I was with my watch mate Andy...5 feet 3 inches tall and from Glasgow. He said he came from Oosterhoose, which I think was Easter House. I believe only the soles of his feet did not have Scottish theme tattoos on.....

A big gobby local (6' 4" tall) played a record on the Juke Box...it was a current comedy hit by Andy Stewart, "Donald where's yer Troosers?" He also made some snide remarks about Britain and Scotland in particular

I wasn't happy and Andy, known as Little Mac, took serious umbrage, the battle look came into his eyes and soon it was us two against 5 or 6 Puerto Rican/Americans...We both sustained some battle damage but were still standing when the bar owner produced a short barrelled shotgun and threatened to shoot the next person to throw something.

I still have a wonky finger on my right hand that I broke that day...Love the pipes and drums...and when I read that Andy Stewart's song was a hit...yes it was..multiple hits....:rofl:

Apparently Elvis thought Andy Stewarts impersonation was brilliant.

Good drills on battling the yanks, for some reason they just bring it out in you eh ?

Pits the feer right up yi’s 😂😂😂

I grew up with the pipe bands, my old boy was a piper and played in a few games and parades... every New Years my dad would pipe it in, sometimes to the surprise of our neighbours 😁big hairy true Scotsman full of whiskey and gumf 😂

:D For some reason, Bam, I even remember it was called The Texas Bar, and none of them spoke proper English, just Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish. Andy was 18 and I was nearly 17 so we were not allowed to buy alcohol and we only went in there to check on the welfare of the friendly young ladies who hung around the Dockside bars...............

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
:D For some reason, Bam, I even remember it was called The Texas Bar, and none of them spoke proper English, just Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish. Andy was 18 and I was nearly 17 so we were not allowed to buy alcohol and we only went in there to check on the welfare of the friendly young ladies who hung around the Dockside bars...............

I seem to remember a Texas Bar in Lisbon but we're going pretty off piste here..... :rolleyes:

Back