• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Found on my walk

divebuddy

Staff member
Sweet chestnuts on the menu.
IMG_20221004_203340.jpg

Your own fault! 😅 You keep blobbing on the meets - and I am willing and able to bring you up to speed. Ask Matt, we went for a walk and every few yards I was giving him wild things to eat.

Can’t argue with you Paul 😂 one day my good man 👍🏻

Seriously though, fresh hazel nuts that have been shelled and roasted in salt (or chilli and garlic) are unlike anything that you can buy in a packet

Chilli and garlic sounds good to me Mike 👍🏻 Do they have to be leached first ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Chilli and garlic sounds good to me Mike 👍🏻 Do they have to be leached first ??
Nope, they can be opened and eaten right off the tree if you wish. Leaching is probably necessary for acorns because they’re high in tannin but hazel nuts are not.

Last edited:
Mark (Ark79) has sent me off on a tangent and I’ve been looking at how to make acorn flour. I need to have a go at this just to satisfy my curiosity. Apparently it’s very labour intensive to make, it‘s tastier as well as being richer than wheat flour and so doesn’t store as long….I wonder if I can make bannock bread with it🧐😋

There are a lot of interesting tutorials on the internet regarding leaching and milling. If you fancy planting them I suggest at the base of thorn trees, there seems to be some kind of symbiosis.

Back