• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Foundation Online – Amateur Radio Training

David Day

Slightly Addicted
I know its not the same as joining a club and getting practice learning but given the current 'circumstances', this looks like the best way of getting started.

I've filled in all the forms and hopefully I'll be accepted on the March course and I'll look at trying my test shortly there after.
I've also bought a Baofeng uv-5r to get me started (just listening for now obviously).

Link

Will look at getting a better aerial when I know I've been accepted on the course..... Something to keep me busy at least!

Good luck with it and the test David........be sure to keep us updated as you progress through the course and let us know how you are getting on :thumbsup:

What sort of range does the linked radio have?

@Matt is right into Ham Radio.........home base set up.........even spoke to an Astronaut once......he may have some tips for you?

Capture.PNG

Just bear in mind that even though it's a walkie talkie you must only use it from your registered address when you've got your foundation licence. 5watts is plenty if you build a better antenna.
"doohickey"sounds like a good word, I've added it to "pish"

Data cable (legit one) and a new antenna on order!
Just need my course to start and get my first test passed :D

Reactions: Bam
Had a scanner years ago.....used to pick up on the odd Mobile phone conversation......some colourful chat 🤭
Also emergency services.
Will that radio you have there also pick up those?

Unsure, I'm going into this blind.
I just thought it might be something good to learn.
I've managed to drop it to half an amp and dial into the work walkie talkie network...... still not sure if I can use this to transmit though?
I can hear everyone fine though even with the stock antenna.

The thing that looks like a battery is a battery holder so I can run it off 6xAA batteries..... The one that looks like another radio........ well its another radio but it comes with the larger battery pack an only cost a few pound more than getting the battery on its own!

I'll stop buying things now....... honest!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 23:32
Subject: Foundation Online - Confirmation of March Course
To: Ham Train (Pete) <[email protected]>

Hi,

Just a quick email to let you know that you have a booking for our free March course. The course is set to start on Sunday the 7th of March 2021.

Next steps:

If you’re still keen to take the course, no need to reply. We’ll be in contact on the Saturday afternoon before the course starts, to provide you with signup details.

If you want to know what to expect, see the following video: https://youtu.be/sZzSgNqNqLg

If you’re no longer interested, or want a later course, please let me know.

Got a question about our courses or the exam? See our FAQ: www.essexham.co.uk/trainfaq

Best regards,

Pete

Back