• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fracking.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Saw on the news that they are starting up Fracking again in Lancashire :rolleyes:
Personally, I detest the idea of it and the dangers it brings with it.......is it Fracking worth the risks???

While that video neglects the national security and industrial security aspects of fuel demand I feel it was actually quite balanced considering it was linked to a video called three ways to destroy the universe. The point is that there are alternative technologies, some of which are renewable energy.
People need to make a choice, wind farms, nuclear or fracking....maybe even stopping overconsumption

It is - simply spoken - bulls**t and not necessary at all.

Look at us in the North of the Netherlands: the NAM is responsible for earthshakes caused by fracking, landscapes are pretty messed up and a lot of people lost their house - including a good friend of mine.

We then also know that fossil fuels are on the way out; they are not a necessity anymore. As stated above - people need to make a decision. I do not buy from RWE or Essent, because if I buy their energy I am actively contributing to brown coal business, to the destruction of the planet and to fracking like mentioned here. Demand and offer, you know? No demand? No offer. And hence no production.

it’s a delicate balance of priorities; fracking in the US has reduced the dependence on imported fuels from the Arab world; for us would be less dependent on Russian gas imports be a bad thing.

The problem I find is that it is very hard to get an actual impartial view; both sides can reel out scientists to support their view and do so on a regular basis.

One of the interesting points to me is the issue of obeyance of the law; if the anti-fracking argument had been supported then they would have expected the oil companies to obey the decision; it’s gone against them and they feel that they have the moral right to carry on...

it’s a delicate balance of priorities; fracking in the US has reduced the dependence on imported fuels from the Arab world; for us would be less dependent on Russian gas imports be a bad thing.

The problem I find is that it is very hard to get an actual impartial view; both sides can reel out scientists to support their view and do so on a regular basis.

One of the interesting points to me is the issue of obeyance of the law; if the anti-fracking argument had been supported then they would have expected the oil companies to obey the decision; it’s gone against them and they feel that they have the moral right to carry on...

Good points 38th, we can usually rely on you for a balanced view. I suppose they're so passionate about their views that they just can't accept that someone else could ever disagree with them. When people take legal action and the judges decision goes against them they can feel that the process must have been biased or flawed.

Last edited:
Well am not for it.....we have the technology to surpass this...money is the factor in the decision to allow this to proceed....not law and certainly not for the benefit of our country....

It would also be intelligent to avoid more use of fossil fuels but there is currently an issue about generating capacity and natural gas is still a major contributor to the grid....if only people would get more into the spirit of micro generation or using renewables it would make fracking uneconomical. That would soon put a stop to fracking without the need for court cases.

In the US the fracking industry is mired in debt and losing money although fuel security may be viewed as more important than the economics of it all even if that aspect is still in doubt too. Interesting read here,
Why The Shale Oil "Miracle" Is Becoming A "Debacle"
and here too,
The Fracking Industry Is Cannibalizing Its Own Production, Increasing Spill Risks | naked capitalism
There is an insidious aspect to the legal actions too in that governments can be sued by energy companies , the so called investor state disputes, for lose of potential earnings etc . The Energy Charter Treaty allows for this , not that I pretend to understand the minutiae of the details,
Energy Charter Treaty - Wikipedia
Have to fully agree with Ystranc that cutting consumption is important and is frankly overlooked and not something I can really see being actively pursued . I'm sure any economically recoverable fossil fuel will be extracted and burnt no matter what protests made. As said it's all about the money.

Back