• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

General ( FREE ) Bow Making Course

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
At the summer meet @Paul N is running one of his excellent bow making courses :thumbsup: As Pauls such a good egg :) he's offered to run the course for FREE to those people who have decided to join us at the summer meet :cool::cool: These courses normally retail around £200-250 :eek: )

here are a few words from Paul .....

Please make every effort (beg, borrow or steal) to bring the following:

Small sharp axe or hatchet
Draw knife
Spokeshave
A sharp non-folding knife.
Leather gloves (to help prevent blisters)

I can lend you the following, but better if you can bring your own:

Bow saw
Laplander (or other small hand saw)
Round needle file

We have a selection of bowstaves. As has been previously mentioned there will be a £15 charge for these. Please pay Matt before starting the bowmaking.

I will provide (but you will owe me a pint):

Paracord
Pencil
Dacron to make the bowstring
Beeswax
Serving tool and serving
Tiller
Fletching's to make an arrow
Sandpaper
Cat-o'-nine-tails' (See the following)

Bowyer's rule No1: At the start of proceedings you will be provided with a length of paracord and a pencil. You will be using them repeatedly. They should be kept on your person at all times, the paracord in a pocket or round your neck, the pencil behind your ear. Failure to follow this rule, or worse still, the loss of one of these items, will result in the offender being strapped to a tree and administered 10 lashes of the 'cat'. You have been warned! ;)

And finally: In 95% of cases you will end up with a shooting bow. However, I cannot rule out the small possibility that you will end up with a broken stick! Sh*t happens!

P.S. If you really can't get any of the items in the first list I can lend you mine.

so if you want to add another string to your bow :rolleyes: get your self's along to the summer meet

It would help me, and the organisation of this, if people who want to learn to make a bow would put their names down, or tell Matt. Also please like Matt's post above, so that I know you have read it and know what to try to bring. So far we have on the list:

Mark @Ark79
John @Hagrid

Dick @divebuddy has already started on a bow, so I'm assuming he will want to finish it in September
Uncle Bill @1 shot willie has expressed an interest but hasn't committed this time
Matt @Matt had a go with my bow and fell in luuuurv, but.........

Re. my comment about a broken stick. It will be very sad if this happens, I want you to take home your own shooting bow. Something that you have made yourself and can be proud of. However, in the event of a broken stick incident all is not lost. I will be showing you how to make a bow, it is this knowledge that you will be taking home. With this in your head you can always make another.

P.S. Matt made it sound like I normally charge for this course - I don't. I do it on the basis of skill sharing. However, if you went on a bowmaking course you would expect to pay about £200 - £250. The £15 for the bowstave will go into forum funds. The 'pint', for the string and other small items, will go into my belly - to help to keep me sane. :)

Last edited:
@Paul N

Hiya Paul.

Due to circumstances beyond my control at the moment......I will not be joining the Summer meet in Wales.
I would have liked nothing more than to join in with the Bow making project.......I do like a nice tinker.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the making.......and a few of the bows being used :thumbsup:

@Paul N

Hiya Paul.

Due to circumstances beyond my control at the moment......I will not be joining the Summer meet in Wales.
I would have liked nothing more than to join in with the Bow making project.......I do like a nice tinker.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the making.......and a few of the bows being used :thumbsup:
Gutted :( :crying:

Back