• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Freedom days

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Returned home to wales for a few days, R and R I suppose it should be called. The weather is perfect, warm, dry and sunny and the woods smell of Autumn. There's an area I've been meaning to recce for ages so that was today's objective.
The man in his little Reed cutting boat will be busy later as parts of the Lake are quite choked with Rushes and other growth.
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00789.JPG

Leaf fall is well under way and the warm sun on the leaves on the woodland paths give that lovely Autumnal smell to the woods.
DSC00785.JPG

It's as if Mother Nature has given the order and the trees have reacted by turning off their taps starving the leaves of nutrients. It intrigues me how the leaves die from the edges as the tree shuts down for Winter. It always reminds me of the way a piece of paper in a fire burns and curls from the edges.
DSC00787.JPG
DSC00788.JPG

Today was a 6 hour plus wander so a 2 brew day at the very least..:D
The first was in a little Glade where the trees are gnarled and misshapen by the winds from the nearby cliff tops.
DSC00790.JPG

And then on to an area that has good potential for some good bivvy nights out. A big natural sandy depression, protected from the wind and far from tracks and grazing areas.
DSC00791.JPG
DSC00792.JPG

Far from the madding crowd...very far..:lol:
DSC00799.JPG

Grub time...Now if I was a real Bush Crafter I would have knocked up a quick Beef Wellington followed by Lemon Drizzle Cake and real Coffee, like they do on You Tube, but I'm a fraud, so stretching my culinary skills I had a Mug Shot, chocolate biscuits and tea...:lol:
DSC00795.JPG

The drill for me at least for brews in Summer time, is to drop my pack and break out the anti Mossie wipes. T shirt off and a good clean up with the impregnated wipe. This drill never varies for me, as I find it much better than sitting waving my arms about like a mad windmill trying to swot everything that dive bombs me during brew time.
Perhaps I'm lucky but these cheap Mossie wipes work very well for me, perhaps not for others..
DSC00793.JPG

I was using the French pack from Decathlon today. I weighed it at home before I left and with 2+ litres of water, grub and all the kit necessary for an unplanned night out, it weighed 22 lbs. With a heavy load I always prefer a external frame pack, but lighter loads carry well in this pack.
DSC00796.JPG
DSC00798.JPG

The pockets on the waist belt are really handy for my camera and other items. My only wish would be that the side pockets were a little deeper, but water bottles etc get a carabiner safety anyway so not a real problem.
DSC00794.JPG

A brew spot in the sun with a nice view and silence...a couple more days and it's back to Lincolnshire and One flew over the Cuckoo's nest...:lol:

Good pictures and write up as usual Sax. Looks like a lovely place to have a wander.
I also have the same pack (and the smaller version). The belt pockets are great.

Great pictures Sax of such a beautiful place. Definitely a place where someone can get lost in the beauty.

You certainly have a way with the camera, the words, and the place............................................

(pack looks handy too.......no, no, no.......)

Back