• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Freeze Dried/Wet Pouch Camping Food !

WildWood1965

Extremely Addicted
Planning for the Scotland Trip has been well under way from our end but as it gets closer we are starting to focus more on the food side of things rather than kit & equipment.

With this in mind we would like to ask everyone for their thoughts & opinions on freeze dried or wet food pouches/ration pack style meals.

Please feel free to tell us about your experiences with these products good or bad

Links to where to obtain the meals would also be extremely useful

Thanks in advance for your input on this folks ! 👍

The only problem I find with the pouches is the portion control. There is a lot of sauce to chunks and the ones with pasta tend to be a bit 'gluey'. The freeze dried ones are better but more expensive I think. I prefer making up my own from home dehydrated ingrededients😀

The only problem I find with the pouches is the portion control. There is a lot of sauce to chunks and the ones with pasta tend to be a bit 'gluey'. The freeze dried ones are better but more expensive I think. I prefer making up my own from home dehydrated ingrededients😀

Plus one for the home made stuff, I dry the crap out of them so they take longer to rehydrate but if you're camping, you can soak the evening meal through the day to hasten things. You make things to your personal taste too.

I use pre packed dehydrated camping meals regularly, no issues , they do exactly what I expect and require them to . Wet meals = too heavy .

I do intend to buy a dehydrator and to make my own , will work out a lot cheaper .

Also you can’t beat a steak or a freshly made curry , guess it depends on where your going and how your getting your gear there .

Six night static camp you can take what you like, fresh, canned etc. Meat et al will keep in a cooler for your stay at that time of the year. One of the joys of fixed site camping is the time you have to make really fresh good food

I like to cook on camp so if I am static I’ll be planning full on meals , if back packing ( cos I’m unfit) I need to be as light as possible , lots of good tinned meals to be made too if you can bear the weight .... making me hungry just thinking about it 😜

Six night static camp you can take what you like, fresh, canned etc. Meat et al will keep in a cooler for your stay at that time of the year. One of the joys of fixed site camping is the time you have to make really fresh good food

This.

While chicken might be iffy after a few days (weather dependent) red mead should be fine for a while and there are plenty options. I save my dehydrated meals for when I'm off up the hills, even then, I sometimes like to have some 'treats' like fresh eggs etc.

If you're feeling a bit avant garde, there's some great veggie scran than will last well too.

For the Feb trip me and Smurf will be turning up on the thursday so can bring in supplies if required.

As others have said it depends what your doing; car based long haul you could pack a cold box with fresh and if so e of it is frozen it will last the week.

I’m a fan of British army boil in the bag but it is heavy and expensive (although I don't tend to buy it).

For lightweight options the. Paul Kirtley bideo blog arrival is worth a watch.

If carrying lightweight dehydrated meals then I personally chorizo and Parmesan make every savoury meal better.

As others have said it depends what your doing; car based long haul you could pack a cold box with fresh and if so e of it is frozen it will last the week.

I’m a fan of British army boil in the bag but it is heavy and expensive (although I don't tend to buy it).

If carrying lightweight dehydrated meals then I personally chorizo and Parmesan make every savoury meal better.

The Paul kirtlley video is good although the menu is a little repetitive and dull 😳

Love noddles :D there’s always a pack or 2 in my rucksack..... but nothing compares to freshly made meals. Chilly and veg soup. Lamb stew. Not made a curry in the outdoors yet! Omelet's :thumbsup: oh the list goes on.

Shows what you can do in a 'horses for courses' kind of a way. Its quite educational, funnily enough I sent Smurf the link to it as the daft bugger is wanting to do the Cape Wrath Trail. A bit different to a wee trip to the woods.

Back