• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

French F1/F2 rucksacks on fleabay

Hiya...yes, sadly? it was an older one, metal fiddly buckles. I have to say, for a Grade 1 (vendors mid grade) it is in very good nick.
All these surplus things have idiosyncrasies, on this bag for example, why put TWO buckles on the side pockets (narrow) and ONE on the back pocket (wide)?šŸ¤”
Its only really the shoulder strap (non) adjusters I might look at: if I can do a non sewing mod!!

I would definitely see if the Fastexs could be moved, :thumbsup:
Yup, the strap adjusters:mad: are coming off...some fastex buckles ordered...... the other closure buckles can stay

just out of curiosity lol, how are you going to replace the old-school buckles that are sown on to the bag?

i found these. bit dear but they give me the notion to bodge my own using the same idea:

repair-buckle.png

Reactions: lol
Thats a good idea.....but I've bought a load of 2 cm fastexs...and was thinking of cutting the adjusters off and leaving the loops. A length of 2cm webbing folded on a 3 bar slider, then on 1/2 the fastex and the other strap length, folded back on the other 1/2?

2 of your thing is neater, I might try that first (still cut the wire things off...not the webbing)?????? (Ā£2 for a load of fastexs is nothing and always useful...)

Bought a couple of those "Field Repair Buckles" (see teef's post above) Not cheap at Ā£4.50 a pop :eek: but good quality. I used them for the shoulder straps. The male connectors want a thin synthetic weave strap...it was the devils own job to get the straps through, especially with the metal leading edges.
So...although still not especially easy to adjust when worn..the pack is a lot easier to wear and take on and off (both sides are obviously now QD?) when loaded.
If you want to do the whole pack with these buckles, you'll need about 13....and that is VERY pricey!!!

... If you want to do the whole pack with these buckles, you'll need about 13....and that is VERY pricey!!!
hence me thinking of a bodge to get the same place in the end. a few quid for 2.5mm threaded rod, a bag of suitable acorn nuts and i'm set to spend an afternoon doing the conversions. i'll be nice to actually get something out of that clapped out F2 i originally ended up with. the thing is a wreck and the straps are totally DOA, not to mention the amazing variety of molds the thing came with, but the fastex buckles are all there and in good nick. i'll give them a new home and finally say goodbye to that nasty old thing.

• Love
blasphemy! ;)
for Ā£20 though? tbh mil surplus may not be pretty but Ā£ for Ā£ it's hard to find better gear. ymmv.

Teef : Following on:
I have replaced the 2 shoulder strap buckles at the base of the pack with 2 of those Sea to Summit things . Pricey, but I couldn't find others? It's very hard to thread the packs canvas strap through with the metal leaders...but I managed it....

The rest was fastex type buckles, and 3 bar buckles. The plastic 3 bar types buckles or sliders wont let the strap canvas to double through, but I had some alloy ones which did. I also used some nylon webbing I had lying around, to attach the male fastex to the original buckles on the pouches. maybe clearer in the photos? In the end I did cut the metal leaders of the straps and seal the ends...just couldn't thread those through the fastex?

The packs pockets are quick(ish) and easier to use, and the whole pack quick and easy to don.... (adjusting is easier, but not that easy)

1/ fastex with nylon webbing at the top and using packs pocket buckles
2/same open...metal ladder buckle on the packs original canvas strap for the pocket
3/ Sea/Summit repair buckles on base of shoulder straps

Like this I can revert to original, and there's no damage to the pack?

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_155545.jpg
    IMG_20201130_155545.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20201130_155554.jpg
    IMG_20201130_155554.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20201130_155630.jpg
    IMG_20201130_155630.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 87
good job lol! i wouldn't have thought to _add_ to the original metal fittings as opposed to removing and replacing. šŸ‘

also cool idea to use the Fastex buckles on the shoulder straps. i usually just struggle my way into the thing -- bit of a tussle with the winter jacket on -- but the Fastexs would make short work of that. must keep that in mind when i get around to doing my mods.

Reactions: Bam
The shoulder strap buckles.. the Sea to Summit things were your idea! :rofl: Buying 13 of them would be the easiest and best option...but not at aboutĀ£55 for a dozen plus!!! I used just two for the shoulder straps.
My fastex adaptions for the rest, the pockets? is less than a fiver.

... Buying 13 of them would be the easiest and best option...but not at aboutĀ£55 for a dozen plus!!! ...
yeah, not my choice either. i still think i'm going to go the bodge route, DIY the Sea To Summit repair buckles throughout. bit more than a fiver for threaded rod and acorn nuts off fleabay, but not much. more of a faff to get it done but so be it.

• Love
Bloody right....apart from some fastex buckles at Ā£2 for loads thereabouts, the rest (not the 2 Sea/Summit jobbies though!) were in my odds and sods box or cut off some scrap cheap cotton sack I had(alloy ladder buckles)

one thing of minor interest, no metal strap ends on my bag. it looks like they were there originally but the ends were glue-dipped at some point so i suspect a previous owner got rid of them for convenience sake. given the fiddly nature of the stock metal fittings i can certainly see why.

fwiw, just got an email from Varusteleka that they have the F" back in stock. Ā£15!
unfortunately shipping to the UK will add at least another Ā£7: :(

Addendum:

This thing has proved to be my go to day pack, walking or in the canoe. Gobsmacked what can be, if inclined, got into it..........

Teef, I just found I have been using it so often.....and I was thinking of letting it go??????? Recently on a Broads paddle, it carried:
Groundsheet, table, 2 seats, sandwiches for 2, stove, sundry tools and fuel, coffee, milk and a couple of beers, water, cutlery and cups......
:thumbsup:

that's a fair load! you must be _really_ good at packing your kit.

• Haha
Back