• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fuel Cost

Half cocked

Quite Addicted
Here I post my rant over the cost of fuel.
I don't think there are any on this forum who can explain why the cost of fuel goes up when it is still the
fuel the companies paid for 3 months ago.
And when the cost per barrel dips, it takes weeks if at all, for the price to reach the forecourt.
How can this be resolved, or are we just so banal, and have lost our will to oppose the multi-national conglomerates?
What do you think?

Adam.

Excuse me fellas

I recall UK has very high fuel prices -but isn't most of it tax?

Why doesn't your government wear a bit of the cost of standing up against Putin, like they expect other businesses to....?

Alan

Excuse me fellas

I recall UK has very high fuel prices -but isn't most of it tax?

Why doesn't your government wear a bit of the cost of standing up against Putin, like they expect other businesses to....?

Alan
Because that would probably derail their gravy train… it would set a precedent that would be difficult to justify not to repeating each time the fuel price went up due to outside influences. There is also a big chunk of that tax diverted toward green energy subsidy.

I heard something on the news this morning about how the fuel cost rise is feeding the Government coffers as they are raking in the tax on it ......

Cant remember the figures but will try and find ....

I heard something on the news this morning about how the fuel cost rise is feeding the Government coffers as they are raking in the tax on it ......

Cant remember the figures but will try and find ....
It drives me Fecking mad when you see how much of the price is tax.
And they can drop the price if they wanted to, but as Mike said earlier, they are filling the treasury coffers with our hard-earned cash.:(

It drives me Fecking mad when you see how much of the price is tax.
And they can drop the price if they wanted to, but as Mike said earlier, they are filling the treasury coffers with our hard-earned cash.:(

You are right Rob

My recollection is that only a small portion of what you pay for fuel in UK is the fuel itself. Most of the cost is tax. I would be interested to know the latest breakdown.

This explains the discrepancy in fuel prices around the world. Here in Australia unleaded is about half the cost of the UK.

Of course, high fuel prices are not a bad thing if they incentivise transition to renewables.

But it seems a little unfair to me that your government is enjoying a tax 'windfall', while so many punters are doing it hard with high prices and businesses are losing revenue from pulling out of Russia ( i.e. standing against an aggressor, which is what the state should be doing -but is to failing to do)

Alan

Last edited:
While I don't think that on a personal level anyone is happy to pay more for anything be it fuel , food or a million and one other things it seems that in real terms fuel has been more expensive in the past . 2011 and 2013 stand out in the following article,
Incidentally , as far as I understand , fuel duty hasn't risen. It's been frozen for some time I believe so in real terms has again probably dropped. There is however VAT charged on fuel which of course rises with the price of the fuel.

Last edited:
Whilst it’s irritating how much money is take. In tax revenues from fuel the fact is as a nation we need enormous amounts of money to operate and fuel is one of the ways of gathering it. A vaguely functional NHS costs billions as does everything else that’s paid for by the state so we end up paying for it some way or other.

That 's very true. I have a number of friends who , while in general I agree with their politics , seem to believe pretty much all our woes can be solved simply by taxing billionaires to death. While I don't think anyone really needs billions in wealth I do have reservations about the numbers or amounts that could be clawed off them. And long term when the billionaires are gone I suppose we start on the millionaires and then after that...

Can't help thinking Corbyn would have to try really hard to get anywhere near Johnson's level of incompetence and corruption. While I don't think Corbyn was or is quite prime minister material I have some empathy with some of his policies and think he may well have been less worse than the current shower.

Back