• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Fuel mix...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
First of all, this is not my invention or idea. I occasionally watch a young lady named Abbie Barnes on YouTube. She's a long distance walker/wild camper etc: She did a demo on one of her videos which implanted the idea in my tiny brain. So I thought I would give it a go..

Her words..." You can use whatever ingredients that you like" triggered it with me, so changed her recipe slightly..
DSC00037.jpg

I couldn't find shredded Coconut so I used Coconut Flour, which seemed to do the trick. I don't own a Blender, so I used a cheap hand cranked gadget which seemed to work ok. Now I might invest in a 'lectric one.... :lol:

Just a small mix for my first attempt...
DSC00038.jpg

The Honey made it gooey, so I sprinkled some more Coconut Flour on top and put it in the fridge.

DSC00039.jpg

Five hours later...Mix had set, so I cut it into Bars about 1" x 5"..It is absolutely lovely! Rocket fuel energy wise I suspect.
That's it..Hooked..next batch will have Ginger, Raisins...Ooooh ! the mixes are endless... :thumbsup:

You Tube..Abbie Barnes..Energy Balls.

Attachments

• DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00039.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 16
I also like watching her videos. I thought the bars looked really good but would have to tweak them as I don't like coconut. But there are plenty of alternatives you could use

I've got these recipes, never tried them admittedly so can't say how good they are, one day I'll get round to it.

Anzac buscuits :-
1 cup dried fruit (optional)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Plain flour
1 cup Suger
3/4 Cup coconut
125g Butter apox
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp Boiling Water
Mix all dry Ingredients together
Put Butter,Syrup in pan on low heat till melted
put 1 tsp Bicarb in cup add 2 tsp Boiling Water
add to pan of butter syrup it will fiz up add to dry mix and mix in well
put on greased baking tray about 1/2" thick put in preheat oven mid heat till light brown 20-25 min approx
cut in to squares leave to cool it is soft at first and get harder with time. One 2"x3" squares is the same as a full meal.
It takes about 10min to make 20min to cook.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peanut butter bites. Quick and easy.
100grams smooth peanut butter (if using crunchy add an extra dessert spoonful )
50g maple syrup
100grams porridge oats
50g dried cranberries or other fruits.
Line baking tray with greaseproof paper
Heat butter and maple syrup in pan untill soft and warmed through. Mix it together.
Transfer to bowl add oats and fruit mix untill well combined.
Wet hands and roll a spoonfuls of mixture into a ball. Put on tray.
Repeat untill all mixture is used up. Should make about 12 balls. Chill in fridge for 2hrs to firm up. Store in airtight container for about a week..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Popcorn bars.
400g unsalted butter
160g marshmallows
300 puffed rice cereal.
Line 20 cm square tin.
Melt butter in pan add marshmallows and cook on medium heat for 3-4 mins stir untill melted.
Remove pan from heat add popcorn and cereal mix together.
Transfer to lined tin and put into fridge to set. When set turn out and cut into bars.
Energy 594kj/141 kcal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We made the anzac biscuits a little while ago although i think the two cooks ( wife and daughter) were a little over generous dropping them on the baking tray and they came out more like small cakes . Nice though.
Not tried the peanut recipe but the marshmallow one sounds like something they tried but theirs had chocolate in it. Again nice if not the healthiest of snacks.

:) i've got a ziplok with a bunch of mixed nuts and a half bag of raisins and dried fruit thrown in for the sugar rush. not as posh mind you but it does the job. the Mrs calls it my "nuts and berries". :D

In the balkans in winter I would systematically put mixed fruit and nuts in a bag to which I’d add my boiled sweets (unwrapped) and broken up kendal mint cake and chocolate so I could have a lucky dip to keep energy levels up in the minus 20° nights.

funny how folks who don't do the "nuts and berries" thing think it sounds ghastly. i love it! it's been my go-to grab-food for the trails for as long as i can remember.
but yeah, a bit of chocolate in the mix is something special alright. some foods taste amazingly good when you're out in the woods and chocolate is one of them.
cheddar cheese too. after a couple days of the grease-sweats good old cheddar is sublime.

I have a similar recipe @saxonaxe the boy likes them to take to work. Try looking for dessicated coconut next time, (same thing)

However if you're happy to cook, ANZAC Biscuits are the best. I use this recipe which produces a crunchy biscuit that travels well and has an excellent dunkability factor.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (150g) plain flour (all purpose flour)
  • 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
  • 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut , unsweetened
  • 3/4 cup (165g) white sugar , preferably caster
  • 150g / 5oz unsalted butter
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan forced)
  • Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
  • Mix flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
  • Place butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium high heat and stir until butter has melted.
  • Add baking soda and stir to combine - it will fizz up, this is normal. Immediately remove from heat.
  • Pour butter mixture into flour and mix until just combined.
  • Roll level 1 tablespoon mixture into balls, flatten into patties. Place balls, 2.5 cm/1" apart, on prepared trays.
  • Bake for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until deep golden. (Bake 12 min for chewy biscuits!)
  • Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool - they harden as they cool!

Last edited:
I have a similar recipe @saxonaxe the boy likes them to take to work. Try looking for dessicated coconut next time, (same thing)

However if you're happy to cook, ANZAC Biscuits are the best. I use this recipe which produces a crunchy biscuit that travels well and has an excellent dunkability factor.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (150g) plain flour (all purpose flour)
  • 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
  • 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut , unsweetened
  • 3/4 cup (165g) white sugar , preferably caster
  • 150g / 5oz unsalted butter
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan forced)
  • Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
  • Mix flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
  • Place butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium high heat and stir until butter has melted.
  • Add baking soda and stir to combine - it will fizz up, this is normal. Immediately remove from heat.
  • Pour butter mixture into flour and mix until just combined.
  • Roll level 1 tablespoon mixture into balls, flatten into patties. Place balls, 2.5 cm/1" apart, on prepared trays.
  • Bake for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until deep golden. (Bake 12 min for chewy biscuits!)
  • Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool - they harden as they cool!

Might give these a go for my girls 👍🏻 Both are dairy free 😁

Dessicated !! That's it Annie, I couldn't remember what it was called and didn't explain very well, so the shop lady thought I wanted coconut flour.. :rolleyes:
Anzac biscuits sound nice, but I've only got a Micro Wave and a 2 hot plate electric thingy, so anything other than boiling water or zapping with Micro waves is a bit advanced for me...:lol:

:D There's a 12 inch cube shaped old fashioned Biscuit tin in the shed somewhere, I suppose I could stick that on a wood gas stove in the back garden. Problem with me is the actual process or act of cooking anything is so unappealing it rates lower than having a root canal drilled...:lol:

Another recipe

50g mixed fruit
50g mixed seeds
140g oats
100g butter
100g brown sugar
100g golden syrup

melt butter and sugar and pour over mixed dry ingredients.

25mins @ 140°C

Pemmican, mash your nuts, berries and even a bit of raw beef with some fat put it in sausage skins then slow smoke it. Done properly it can last for months

Back