• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Funny how you change.

Big Red

Quite Addicted
I have been a hunting, shooting fishing man all my adult life, still have a pretty impressive gun cabinet, shotguns of 12b, 20b, Semi Auto plus two rifles. But as I have got older I have definitely lost the drive to stalk Deer and help keep the Fox numbers down, although Sea Fishing is still right up there, as is rough shooting, beating and picking up with Shitbags. Living where I do has provided the ultimate for all my activities, I feel absolutely blessed.

My coterminous renewal as just come through the door, and I am seriously considering not bothering with my Firearms Cert, keep the shotgun going. I have shot seven Deer in the last six years, I used to shoot more than that a month! I would like a nice non FAC Air Rifle for some target plinking, Squirrels and Rats to keep my hand in though………Decisions, decisions! 🤔🤔

I have been a hunting, shooting fishing man all my adult life, still have a pretty impressive gun cabinet, shotguns of 12b, 20b, Semi Auto plus two rifles. But as I have got older I have definitely lost the drive to stalk Deer and help keep the Fox numbers down, although Sea Fishing is still right up there, as is rough shooting, beating and picking up with Shitbags. Living where I do has provided the ultimate for all my activities, I feel absolutely blessed.

My coterminous renewal as just come through the door, and I am seriously considering not bothering with my Firearms Cert, keep the shotgun going. I have shot seven Deer in the last six years, I used to shoot more than that a month! I would like a nice non FAC Air Rifle for some target plinking, Squirrels and Rats to keep my hand in though………Decisions, decisions! 🤔🤔
I had the very same decision to make a few years back and came to the conclusion that the FAC ticket was more trouble than it was worth :)

so now i have a couple of quality air rifles :)

Not an easy decision to make, I would still want to stalk deer tho and wouldn’t give it up, that’s only an opinion though as I’ve never stalked deer and only stalked rabbit and squirrels with an air rifle… you will know better than me Mike when It comes to FAC but im pretty sure you could get it back if you wanted to ?

There's nowt stopping you having a nice non fac air rifle along with the fac stuff. Renew your ticket and if your still unsure next time let it drop.
But sub 12ftlbs air can be very much elation and desperation in quick change about.
For me shooting air goes hand I hand with stalking, if you can get within 25-30 yards of a small generally terrified always on the lookout mammal or bird and place a kill shot your a good shooter. If I want to sit 100y off and shoot them I'd get a small bore rf.

Started off with an air rifle back in 1970 aged 12, shooting rats and Squirrels on the farm, the few rabbits were posing a slightly different challenge, so started using a .22 RF a couple of years later and have had one ever since. I have had various .243 and .308 rifles for Foxes and Deer, Roe, Red and Fallow for around 4 decades now, but just not getting the use out of them nowadays. I have also put several tens of thousands of .762 rounds, ball and link, down the range……But that’s a different story.

So I think I would be quite happy with a decent Air setup so I can teach my grandson how to stalk, as I did my son and nephew. My son did not touch the Rimmie, until he could prove to me he was capable and competent with an Air Rifle, but the Army Cadets certainly helped……….Going full circle I guess.

Whether I keep my FAC or not : What would be a decent, non FAC, Air Rifle and scope? A moderator would be fitted.
If I do not bother with the FAC, I will have a nice Schmidt and Bender scope for the Air Rifle. 👍

@Big Red
You looking for a springer or a pcp?
What kind of money you thinking of spending?
Personally I'm old school and think quality counts. Even 2nd hand weihrauch and airarms will always hold their price and be a better gun than the cheaper end of the market.
Walter are pretty good but getting up there in price as well.
BSA pcp's ( Ultra, Scorpion, the bigger ones are serious money) are uk made iifc and generally pretty good. Gamo are the same company now and are very similar. Not sure about their springers though.

I think that using air definitely will hone your stalking skills, RF and center fire can make you lazy…the problem with giving up your FAC is that you have to get rid of guns, usually for a pretty poor return on your initial investment. If you then change your mind it is a big expense to get back into it.
May I suggest you keep the FAC and a core of your most useful firearms for another 5 years while you get back into air guns.

I think that using air definitely will hone your stalking skills, RF and center fire can make you lazy…the problem with giving up your FAC is that you have to get rid of guns, usually for a pretty poor return on your initial investment. If you then change your mind it is a big expense to get back into it.
May I suggest you keep the FAC and a core of your most useful firearms for another 5 years while you get back into air guns.
Certainly food for thought Mike. 🤔😀

Done it, renewal all done…….Good advice. 👍

Back