• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Future?

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
I’ve read a lot of articles and threads about warnings signs the media has put out in the headlines. Afterwards it got me thinking on how many have been wrong and how many right over the years?

So I put my question to yous..... what do yous know of that the media has been right or wrong about? Based solely on disaster or war and such!

WolfsHead

Very Talkative
Wrong wise, soooooo many things especially in the vicinity of the millennium. Y2K bug, end of the world all that nonsense. Right wise I suppose you can say acid rain and climate change and so on but these things aren't really predictions they're reports on facts and research. News by its nature is more often than not something reported after the fact. Social media is full of complete toss so lets write 99% of anything that appears on there off straight away.

If you want to know what the future holds read peer reviewed research published in journals like 'science' 'life' 'elsevier' 'british medical journal' etc... This is where proper research ends up not the crap you see shared by some no-mark on Facebook who claims their new diet will detox you or that that the biggest new threat to life as we know it is...

The interesting I heard on the radio was a diacussion over plummetting bee numbers. The expert they had on was raising the point of pollination by bees and insects underpinning huge portions of the ecosystem. Then listener x rings up tell them they shouldn't worry how can a bee make any difference its as just some birds wont have anything to eat cant be that important I.e. missing the point by a country mile. Maybe mistrust of genuine experts and misplaced trust in self serving misinformation will be our overall downfall.

And the big one to worry about is antibiotic resistance. If we don't develop new antibiotic we will, medically speaking plunge our selves back to Victorian rates of mortality in terms of surgical peocedures. Just think if every single surgical procedure came with a strong chance of unfightable infection...bad news.

Damn...proper got my soap box out for that one.

Baytree

Extremely Talkative
The medias job is to sell newspapers , tv and the like and sensational headlines can do just that. To be honest I'm a little divided about the issue. On one hand if everything is downplayed people stand less chance of being informed and aware of issues and can easily get into the mindset of thinking that everything is fine and dandy and all is well with the world. On the other hand too sensational headlines that don't come true have the effect of people "switching off" , becoming cynical or just disbelieving the news.
In the '70's I can remember films like threads and after leaving school it wasn't long before AIDS came along both of which seemed very real portents of doom at the time . There has been the millennium bug , SARS , bird flu , Ebola all potentially very dangerous but thankfully not living up to the predictions but what I believe it has done is to make people dismissive of potential problems. Climate change is a very good example of this. As Wolfshead says it's all really facts and reasearch but there are still many that dismiss the whole thing as a money making exercise. Actually when they bring money into it that's when I tend to think they've lost the argument but that's another topic.
It's not always predictions of doom that serve to make people cynical or at least it isn't to me. Take brexit for instance , I listened to the predictions of how well we would be in or out with a huge pinch of salt. I thought both sides were being overly rosy about the future. And that extends to many other predictions of a brighter future that don't seem to take into account resource depletion , lowering EROEI of energy supplies , overpopulation , climate change and so on.
Of course it doesn't help that I get more cynical as I get older.

38thfoot

Quite Addicted
Also be wary of all peer reviewed theories; it’s not unheard of for research to be approved on a cyclical nature by peers whose subset work is then also peer reviewed in a back scratching exercise.

As others have said however the media has to sell content and headlines stating “everything’s vaguely alright” don’t grab attention and 99% of the internet is toss (my posts clearly sitting within the remaining 1% 😁) and often used to support a personal agenda - not so long ago on this forum an ex member often quoted his personal blog as evidence that his posts were factually based!

Ystranc

Anyone remember the mysterious Planet X? You know, the one that no one knew where it was, how big it was or what direction it was moving in but they all knew for sure it was going to hit us a few years back. The Internet media were all over that silly season story.

Baytree

Extremely Talkative
Wasn't worried about Planet X or niribo or whatever it was called , I'll be ok , I've got my wigwam of sticks to protect me ( filmreferrence)

Ystranc

I was banking on my tinfoil helmet protecting me, it worked well enough when the aliens were spying on me with rays 👽👽👽😜

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
I am really convinced about peoples ability to look in the future, because my mother did it a couple of times. She was dreaming it, speaking about and than it happend.

Her mother could do similar telepathic things too.
In 1944 my grandma suddenly knew that my grandpa was standing in front of her apartments door in Berlin. She stood up from the table and explained her friends, that he was standing in front of the door and wouldn't have the hose keys with him.

The other ladies explained her, that here husband would be in Italy and couldn't stand in front of the door, because the Wehrmacht didn't give the Soldiers free any more.

But my grandma went home, and my grandpa really stood in front of the door.
He simply was deserted, because the US army had landed in Italy, and he thought, his field grey holydays now could become unpleasant somehow...

;0)

I am convinced, that some people are able to look in the future, in theyr own future and the future of other people, who are somehow related to them.

But usually people who write about what will happen regarding politics and nature simply do it, because stupid people want to buy and read it, in my opinion.

For example that current earth heating theory.

The Vikings left Greenland because it became to cold there for propper Scandinavian agriculture.
Everybody who is interested in it knows that.

And everybody who is interested in it knows, that we had a glacier who had been 1000 meters high over Berlin in the last ice age.

And now they tell me, it would become warmer, because to many people drive around with their cars???

Did the Neanderthalers do it too, or what?

Albion

Slightly Talkative
The interesting I heard on the radio was a diacussion over plummetting bee numbers. The expert they had on was raising the point of pollination by bees and insects underpinning huge portions of the ecosystem. Then listener x rings up tell them they shouldn't worry how can a bee make any difference its as just some birds wont have anything to eat cant be that important I.e. missing the point by a country mile. Maybe mistrust of genuine experts and misplaced trust in self serving misinformation will be our overall downfall.
Astonishing ignorance, but an attitude I see all too commonly in far too many people. Total detatchment from nature.

Last edited:

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Well, the media do a great job over here central Europe. Especially in Germany - and here in the Netherlands, too. Maybe I am too much of an academic now, but I did study cultural sociology and we also kind of discussed how media operate and how people decide to perceive media. Both issues are two different matters, democratic media does usually work according to a proper, investigative code whereas populist media (both extreme right as extreme left) just attempt to install feelings of fear, hate or other emotions that help them both in increasing their sales/exposure as well as manipulating their readership/viewers.

I do see a correlation (not causation!) between the paranoid type of prepper and propaganda from infamous "news" channels. These channels usually dismiss everything as "mainstream media", which in itself is a rather useless term. And actually originates from Joseph Goebbels', Hitler's former propaganda minister. He created the propaganda term "Lügenpresse" (=lying press), today this is still used by groups such as the right-extremist PEGIDA or other groups trying to manipulate the masses.

I am mentioning this because these media channels are the ones that create the biggest panic about scenario X or catastrophy Y. Simply because shocking the readership sells issues.

There are things that are just phrased in such an incredible insane way, here are some examples:

• refugee "waves" (I never encountered "waves" as if all was out of control, neither did anything change in my living standards since we had more refugees coming over)
  • ebola (nothing happened)
  • SARS (nothing happened)
  • millenium bug back in 2000 (nothing happened)
I could go on endlessly. The mechanism is always the same: Sell a by far more complex truth as a one-sided, shocking one-liner and then you get all these "news" that never came true. I guess that is important when prepping, cause with all due respect: There is a huge difference between reasonable prepping and just jumping on every "Oh my god what if Aliens eat the dog?"-type of scenario.

Hope it makes sense what I am writing here.

Bam

Slightly Addicted
Well, the media do a great job over here central Europe. Especially in Germany - and here in the Netherlands, too. Maybe I am too much of an academic now, but I did study cultural sociology and we also kind of discussed how media operate and how people decide to perceive media. Both issues are two different matters, democratic media does usually work according to a proper, investigative code whereas populist media (both extreme right as extreme left) just attempt to install feelings of fear, hate or other emotions that help them both in increasing their sales/exposure as well as manipulating their readership/viewers.

I do see a correlation (not causation!) between the paranoid type of prepper and propaganda from infamous "news" channels. These channels usually dismiss everything as "mainstream media", which in itself is a rather useless term. And actually originates from Joseph Goebbels', Hitler's former propaganda minister. He created the propaganda term "Lügenpresse" (=lying press), today this is still used by groups such as the right-extremist PEGIDA or other groups trying to manipulate the masses.

I am mentioning this because these media channels are the ones that create the biggest panic about scenario X or catastrophy Y. Simply because shocking the readership sells issues.

There are things that are just phrased in such an incredible insane way, here are some examples:

• refugee "waves" (I never encountered "waves" as if all was out of control, neither did anything change in my living standards since we had more refugees coming over)
  • ebola (nothing happened)
  • SARS (nothing happened)
  • millenium bug back in 2000 (nothing happened)
I could go on endlessly. The mechanism is always the same: Sell a by far more complex truth as a one-sided, shocking one-liner and then you get all these "news" that never came true. I guess that is important when prepping, cause with all due respect: There is a huge difference between reasonable prepping and just jumping on every "Oh my god what if Aliens eat the dog?"-type of scenario.

Hope it makes sense what I am writing here.
Unfortunately the 'main stream media' seem to feel the need to join the trend for sensationalism. There's a lot of 'if' stories getting peddled around about Brexit at the moment and they're being passed off as news. Much sexier to speculate on every nuance of Brexit and lead us down a chosen scenario than just lay out the possible options. There are 'fashions' or 'trends' in most aspects of life and unfortunately we seem to live in the sensational era, I suspect fed by social media. An other area of 'news' that grinds my gears, "Lets head to Inverness to hear what the public think about it......." with half saying its great and half saying its crap. Yup, really insightful stuff there, who needs an expert when you can get Senga fae Inverness to tell us why No Deal Brexit is bad (or good).