• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

G. H. B.- get home bag.

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
this is a bag you carry or keep in your vehicle with enough equipment to get you back home, its NOT a bug out bag, its a bag to get you back home in the fastest time possible.
the contents of my GHB are as follows:
2 Foil Blankets.
2 Disposable Lighters.
Torch with batteries.
1 Knife.
1 Sawyer mini water filter.
1 Spark Striker.
2 Light Sticks.
1 Face Mask.
1 Mini Sharpening Stone.
First Aid Kit.
1 Basha/Tarp.
1 Compass.
1 Folding Saw.
Maps of the areas I normally travel to.
1 Water Bottle.

all this is kept in a bag which I keep permanently in my vehicle, usually stuffed behind the seats.
I have a separate bag with packs of dehydrated camping food in it + a Hobo type stove, I normally only carry this on long trips when i'm hundreds of miles away, otherwise i'm normally only 10 miles from home maximum.

Fair enough, but I note that you don't list any tools or spares, is that another thread or perhaps - ahh - 'off topic'. I don't carry anything because with no car, I'm on the 'bus; First Kernow (for heaven's sake!) do not let there drivers fix anything so they're not going to let me anywhere near a problem.

no I don't list any tools or spares....other than what you might carry in a vehicle anyway.
like I said in the OP, its NOT a bug out bag, its just enough to get you back home in the quickest time possible, you don't want to be carrying much, most of mine is contained in a small bum type bag, the maps and the basha not included.
and its mostly for when someone is on foot, maybe the vehicle has broke down or no fuel, or maybe you have no vehicle, some national or local emergency has happened and you have to get back home quickly to the family and safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep the regular stuff plus x2 iosat tabs & a charcoal NBC face mask in mine

I have a few bits in the car although not quite as much as this. Normally its a map, a first aid kit, a torch, two litres of liquid, my boots and a coat. More if I have to get home from Salisbury rather than across the country.

I have a bag that should keep me going for a couple days walking home (which is the furthest I am on a regular basis). It sort of doubles up as a 'grab bag' if required and I'll throw it in the back of the missus's car if we're going anywhere more than about 10 miles away.

I cover all the basics, water, food, stove, waterproofs, spare clothes, FAK, lightweight sleeping system and spare powerbanks/torches/MP3 player etc. There's nothing contentious or illegal in it, the only 'blade' is my pocket SAK. Its in a 30L(ish) bag with plenty room for 'cargo' so its not too bulky.
My missus rolls her eyes at me for it but she's got a mini version in the car for herself which she finds reassuring.

Back