• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Gaining Permissions

Guide Gaining Permissions

Ray Stewart

Quite Addicted
Ray Stewart submitted a new resource:

Gaining Permissions - Gaining Permissions

The emotional subject of acquiring permission to shoot on private land is a subject that crops up in air-gunning circles, time and time again.

Just think about it. If a total stranger knocked your door and asked if they could play in your back garden from time to time ('cos they haven't got a back garden of their own), how would you react? And that's exactly what you're doing when you approach a farmer or landowner for permission....

Read more about this resource...

I have seen this before Ray, and every word is true this is how i obtained all my permissions, another option you can through in is to offer any expertise that you might have to help the farmer out, they may never ask anything of you but they will appreciate the offer and this may just tip their hand into giving you the permission you require. What i have done on my backyard permission recently is to repair some of the fences near my back garden that the horses have kicked out the rails. He was very pleased that i had taken it upon myself to repair it as he hadn't the time to repair it due to his work load: Dave

Thanks for reposting this. I read Mr Barnetts column every month and always learn a lot from it. As I am just starting out in the airgunning world I and a few friends are putting in a lot of time in at the range so that we will be confident in our ablities with a view to hopefully getting a permission or two each. this article is a big help as I didn't really know how to approach my local land owners but I will be taking all the advice onboard.

I am loving this forum as it really is a great source of information and everyone has been extremely helpful and welcoming.

Thanks all, and especially to Ray for putting this up.

Hi, I read your post on gaining permissions from landowners. I live in the city so I don't know anything when it comes to the countryside :p. So I found it very clear and informative. However, I was stuck on the insurance, I looked at the BASC website. Would getting BASC membership be enough or do I need a specific policy? Also do I get an ID card?

Thanks.

With BASC you get £10 million of third party public protection and costs £46 per year. I'm a member and enjoy the benefits which include a quarterly magazine and a membership card. This I think is the best option, however there are several cheaper alternatives at around £17 per year giving you £2 million in third party public liability. I'm sure other members on the site will give you more details, but I prefer to stick with BASC. Geoff

Fassal, you need BASC Airgun Insurance, not full membership.
There are other cheaper ones but a lot of farmers will recognise BASC and it could open doors for you. Another good one is Countryside Alliance, they often have deals on and are also well known in the farming community.

Back