• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Galloway trip photos and write ups

Episode Two - The Force Of Mother Nature Awakens (As if she was ever asleep anyway :))

On the way to the forest we stopped off in Dalmellington which is an historical rest area, market town, weaving centre and mining village. We gathered up some fresh produce to supplement our tinned rations (The bread rolls from the bakery are excellent) & we were off again. Just outside the forest we drove past the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory which is no doubt of interest to @G1ZmO who is rather knowledgeable on the subject of star gazing. :thumbsup:

As reported we had some issues trying to find the agreed location & with time running out to find a pitch we found a spot that I will nickname Moleys Mound which was fairly flat after we made good with our shovels. It also had a decent view out over the loch. As we were unpacking the Landy @Matt tapped me on the shoulder as he had spied two deer (They were not cheap :D) walking across the track in the direction of the water. Tents up food snaffled & it was off to bed. We awoke to a dusting of snow, had breakfast & I think it was at that point that @Matt drove out to the phone signal area in order to get the info we needed on the area we should have been in. That done we packed up & moved to the correct spot.

We got our bearings as we both pictured the recce video in our heads before we tackled Hamburger Hill (This was basically a fairly steep incline that rose slightly again once we thought we had got to the top. Unfortunately there were no hamburgers to reward us for our efforts but at least there were no bullets whizzing past our ears either :D). We found what we thought was a suitable sheltered area behind a dry-stone wall with a convenient stream close by. Up went the F1 French Army tents with our trusty DD 4x4 tarps over the top & we settled in.

This is where things got a little blurry for me & @Matt as we both lost track of how many days we spent in which spot as we battled against the near constant rain (Cats, dogs & hamsters thrown in for good measure :D) & the close to gale force winds. Within a day or so it became obvious that a slight change of location was in order as our camp area soon resembled The Somme. We then decided to move to the area on the other side of the wall where we would also be sheltered to some degree. We went for a stroll after tea & in doing so we stumbled on an area or two to keep in mind for future trips. That night we were again battered by the weather & the sound of tarps flapping in the wind was commonplace.

Following breakfast that morning (Which @Matt thought was Wednesday & I thought was Thursday :rolleyes:) we drove out to the phone signal spot to check-in & we suddenly realized that it was indeed Friday :eek:. Paul @G1ZmO was due to arrive at around 10:30 & within ten minutes or so there he was (A bit like the shopkeeper on Mr Benn but a tad slower ;)). We followed him down to the parking area & he went up the hill like a mountain-goat in order to scout out a suitable place in the woods to set up his hammock & various tarps.

With the rain still lashing down & the wind doing what it does best @Matt & I had our evening meal before joining Paul in his rather splendid makeshift shanty-town for a few gulps of our favourite camp-fire rum based tipple Dark Matter before going back to our third camp area (Which by now was also swamped :() in order to retire for yet another stormy night.

We rose at first light & skipped breakfast in order to take advantage of an extremely rare break in the weather to pack up our gear & get out of dodge. We were leaving due to personal domestic circumstances (Now sorted :thumbsup:) but to be honest I think we were both done in with the constant bad weather & we may have left anyway. The circumstances led to a lot less fun & banter being thrown around which is something that makes these camps memorable for all the right reasons.

Paul was up & about as we were packing up as he was doing his official camp (Make of that what you will ;)) photography thing. He then dashed off into the woods for breakfast saying that he would catch us later. By this time he too had decided to leave for safety reasons not only due to being alone with some dodgy trees in his location but because a red weather warning had been issued. In the end we didn't get a chance to say a proper goodbye to @G1ZmO for which we both apologize but @Matt did blast the horn on the Landy three times on our way out. In truth we had been beaten by Hamburger Hill & we couldn't face one last climb !

So here we are all back home safely & I would like to say sorry to the other chaps who were due to join us but it was just one of those things. We were very unlucky with the weather. Having said that I personally feel that 5-7 days is probably the most I that I am capable of doing on any future camps. I'm just not up to it !

I would like to thank @Matt for kindly taking me on this trip & for once again being very patient with me on several occasions when I was struggling to get myself together ! :thumbsup:write

I know that everyone on the forum who has been following this trip has been extremely complimentary to us regarding how long we stuck it out in our daily war against Mother Nature but to anyone else I say .........

:D

This took me an hour to write so I'm off for a lie down in my padded cell ! :p
Nice write up Neil but you know the old saying about the well made plans of mice and men. Personally having read both Pauls and your write ups I feel that you all made the sensible decision under the circumstances

@WildWood1965 @Matt

I really enjoyed the honest..... worts and all write up Neil..........very well written :thumbsup:
I felt sad for you both.....as I know just how much the trips North mean to you....... and how much you both enjoy them.....not to mention the effort that goes into it.
The weather on this occasion was bang against you.....but you hung in there anyway..... still knowing when to call it a day..........so power to your elbow for that!!

Roll on NEXT year.......new challenge.....different spot?? :thumbsup::)

@WildWood1965 @Matt

I really enjoyed the honest..... worts and all write up Neil..........very well written :thumbsup:
I felt sad for you both.....as I know just how much the trips North mean to you....... and how much you both enjoy them.....not to mention the effort that goes into it.
The weather on this occasion was bang against you.....but you hung in there anyway..... still knowing when to call it a day..........so power to your elbow for that!!

Roll on NEXT year.......new challenge.....different spot?? :thumbsup::)

Thanks mate it was a hard decision for me to call it as like you said it was a long awaited trip :( BUT i didnt have just me to think about and i thought i had to make the decision for the team :thumbsup:... will defo be going back next year to the same area . while me and @WildWood1965 were out walking in the rain we did spy a spot i think will work for us .....needless to say we will be both kitted up with "hot " tents on the next trip so we will be able to get in out of the bad weather and get dried off if needed ...

You have highlighted the option of a "Hot Tent" mate......good call on many aspects. :thumbsup:
Was there any other kit that you thought....bugger.....going to change this next time around?
Including footwear.....clothing.....admin.....and why would you change it?

I still have a nice "new in the box heater" here going for a good price......no logs required :whistle::rofl::rofl:

Have you any pictures of the new spot you and the Bitch picked out????.......how many tents can you fit on it? :)

You have highlighted the option of a "Hot Tent" mate......good call on many aspects. :thumbsup:
Was there any other kit that you thought....bugger.....going to change this next time around?
Including footwear.....clothing.....admin.....and why would you change it?

I still have a nice "new in the box heater" here going for a good price......no logs required :whistle::rofl::rofl:

no kit i would change mate all personal kit "worked" as expected ..... only change i would make is a bigger tent " so not stooped over getting in or out " as the back was twinging a tad come the end . :thumbsup:... and as mentioned a stove in the bigger tent to help dry stuff out :thumbsup:

may take you up on the offer of the heater real soon mate .... just need to let the finances calm down after splashing out on the new tent :)

no kit i would change mate all personal kit "worked" as expected ..... only change i would make is a bigger tent " so not stooped over getting in or out " as the back was twinging a tad come the end . :thumbsup:... and as mentioned a stove in the bigger tent to help dry stuff out :thumbsup:

may take you up on the offer of the heater real soon mate .... just need to let the finances calm down after splashing out on the new tent :)

I hear you on the bigger tent option...... and can relate to the constant problem of stooping with the smaller ones.....especially on the longer trips with multiple overnighters ;)
Also....if you are buttoned down its not nice being in a confined cramped space........ in :poo: conditions....its nice to be able to sit up in a chair and read a book....drink your tea and eat your food in comfort.
Having that space around you plays a big part in the mental and moral game too.

Even taking a dump inside....in the warm......or a pee in the middle of the night :rofl:

Glad the rest of the kit was proper job for you both.

In no rush to sell the heater mate.....its here.............. if and when you want it :thumbsup:

Back