• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gelert Polycotton Navajo tents

lol

Extremely Addicted
These tents appear to be copies or licence built Robens tents (Fairbanks, Klondike, etc)

However, Sports Direct are selling them are seemingly very cheap prices, and I'm achingly tempted by the Navajo 4, (a Fairbanks copy, and I'd just lurv a Fairbanks....)

Anyone have any knowledge of these, or experience? On line info, images is very limited........

Many thanks, in hope:whistle:

I was in the process of buying one (it was tooooo tempting!) of these from SPORTS DIRECT online, and just as I went to pay, I noticed the price jump £50 upwards. I cancelled my purchase, and wrote to Sports Direct who weren't interested at all. No purchase, and wouldn't ever be a customer......so bought (another) Good Companions Major.....wasn't quite the plan:(

Anyway, recommend NOT purchasing from SD...........

I think i posted a link up, a few weeks ago.

They were having a camping flash sale, them tents were in the sale. I've noticed the prices on there, can change like the wind :rofl::D

I think i posted a link up, a few weeks ago.

They were having a camping flash sale, them tents were in the sale. I've noticed the prices on there, can change like the wind :rofl::D

...yeh, didn't make me smile....a couple of seconds and I would have paid £50 more that I thought. Not funny.
SD asked whether I photo'd the pages.....like you do............

Aye mate, it's happened to me a few times, when i've dilly an dallyed buying kit online.

Returned the next day and the price has mysteriously gone up :rolleyes: i swear they keep a track on you, through your cookie trail.

Unfortunately, had another experience with Sports Direct.........suffice it to say to anyone: just don't....................:fedup::thumbsdown::mad::(:fedup::fedup:

Despite bloody SD, I have eventually bought of an ebay reseller at £179...................... a Gelert Navajo 4. Coincidentally A.N.Other, of Elsewhere, posted a favourable review having also acquired one at very reduced cost. Also shown on another thread........... (very pleased with it at the price:thumbsup:)
Turncoat that I am, but I still wouldn't deal with SD out of choice..............

Review and pictures: Gelert Navajo 4 Polycotton Tipi Tent Reviews and Details

(A comparison with the Jambo 10T 4 person ridge tent would be interesting as both could have been bought at one time at least, for almost the same price?)

Attachments

• Gelert Nav 4 front.jpg
    Gelert Nav 4 front.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 660
SD.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: same thoughts as you mate :(

Like that very much......nearly bought a Robens a few years back.
The price is excellent too for what you are getting.

Hope to hear your thoughts and see a few pictures from its first outing :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Lol. :thumbsup:

Reactions: lol
I have no knowledge of the Nav 4 but I do have a Robens Double Dreamer which the wife got for us. Not a simple tent to pitch but once its up its fantastic build quality means you'd need a hurricane to flatten it

SD.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: same thoughts as you mate :(

Like that very much......nearly bought a Robens a few years back.
The price is excellent too for what you are getting.

Hope to hear your thoughts and see a few pictures from its first outing :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Lol. :thumbsup:

Thank you, no worries!......... will do so asap:)

Took it to Hadleigh show where I was part of a group setting up and running an archery demo. Very sunny so not a test, but very cold (frost ) at night.

Worked well, up in minutes and proved nice, comfortable and roomy for one. Would also be good for two, but with 4, heaven knows where ALL the kit would go...:confused:

I'm not convinced that the quality is quite that of a Robens Fairbanks, but certainly seemed perfectly good, especially at the price I paid (£179). I couldn't recommend it at the (£499) list price, I'd probably go for the Fairbanks?

Certainly it was appreciated to be able to unzip the groundsheet and have 3 or 4 inches all around for an omni directional breeze: you can't do that with the Fairbanks!:D
Internal storage pockets very useful for odds and sods but no (standard) hanging points. I've rectified that with a homemade pole hook for the UCO candle light......

Will be taking on a canoe camp this week...…………...:)

Attachments

• WP_20180519_06_09_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180519_06_09_23_Pro.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 446
You need to put a metal bowl/plate under the pole to stop the pole sinking into soft ground and learn to rig a tarp over the door to stop rain getting in.

You need to put a metal bowl/plate under the pole to stop the pole sinking into soft ground and learn to rig a tarp over the door to stop rain getting in.

No, not really, the tent pole already has a supplied/fitted base unit, AND the g/ sheet has a reinforcement patch..... but it IS handy to soften or round off the top of the pole.....

The tent has an outer porch but also has inner tent doors to prevent any rain in the tent when you open the vestibule. Mind you, such an awning is always nice....see piccies on UK Campsite...…...

you will need a wider plate/bowl for the centre pole, the patch won't stop the pole sinking into soft ground. I've had or have several similar designs the the base plate is vital as I'm sure you will find out

Attachments

• 2018 2.jpg
    2018 2.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 624
  • 2018 3.jpg
    2018 3.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 505
Back