• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Generator ?

Ark79

Site Manager
So does anyone have any ideas on a generator, ideally it would be compact, easy to use as Sharon might be left to switch it on and work it, (so idiot proof 🤔) see how I blame her 😂

Four stroke or dual LPG/petrol Honda engines are usually a good indicator of reliability. No fuel mixing and easy to start, even when cold. How much power do you need? Is it just to keep the freezer going in a power cut or do you need a bit more from it?

Last edited:
Four stroke or dual LPG/petrol Honda engines are usually a good indicator of reliability. No fuel mixing and easy to start, even when cold. How much power do you need? Is it just to keep the freezer going in a power cut or do you need a bit more from it?

Exactly that , freezer pulse lights and charging various things …. Honda would be preferred as I know there good, last one I used was over 30 years ago lol I’ve never owned one sadly so it’s another learning curve I’m just making the learning a little quicker by asking yous lot 👍🏻

Looking at the small inverter geny’s at the mo, 1000w and 2000w

I don’t own one either but I have hired Honda in the past with no complaints. The massive thing with the LPG powered ones is that LPG has no shelf life while petrol goes off if you don’t add stabilising chemicals. You can also run them on petrol if you need to. They are expensive though.

Just watched a YouTube vid on it matt, price is ok and it seems pretty straight forward to use , tho it’s bigger than I wanted, still it’s saved lol

That is a great price and would run a couple of the household appliances like fridge freezer easily but if you’re charging things like tablets and laptops then doing it through an inverter seems to be best practice. Considering that in an ideal world you would never have to use it the cheaper one makes a lot of sense.
There is so much choice it is a bit bewildering.

There is the Honda one in this style, 3 times the price tho unless I go second hand…. The fact I can shut the fuel of on the honda is a good selling point as it prolongs the life of the carburettor as it allows the fuel to be burned off… or so the brochure says 😂

Learning as I go 🤔

We have Kubota diesel as back up to the solar. I would strongly agree with Mike on the Honda. I have Honda water pumps for fire fighting. They are great.

Mark, the point about the fuel valve on the Honda is important if you are using unleaded. If you don't run it dry after each use the carby will regularly gum up. I have spent days cleaning and replacing Carbys and it drives me nuts. Actually I got my wife to do it because she has smaller fingers. These days I run everything on Avgas. Bloody expensive but saves fiddling with Carbys.

The point about the shelf life of your fuels is also well made. I find in our heat unleaded is only good for 6-8 months. Diesel more than a year, maybe two. But we can always use the fuel somewhere so it is never wasted.

Alan

Last edited:
Back