• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Genuine issue 120 ltr Army Burgen

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
I have 2 of the above that have been in storage for a good few years, last used at a plymouth meet I think in 2012.
Anyway I dug them out the other day and noticed the newer one of the two the shoulder straps had gone rock hard and wont bend.
I stored them in a large vacuum bag and in the dry in the cupboard in my workshop so god knows why this has happened.
has anyone ever had this and is there anything I can do to save it.

That's a strange one Gazo :thumbsdown:

You could maybe try steaming them over a kettle and then try to manipulate them to loosen them up?

Never heard of this happening before.

If that Rucksack is made from Plastic fibres I guess, nothing will help, exceptional to change parts.

Plastic is ageing!

If it was mine i would try soaking the bergen in a large bin/container with a mix of warm water and a heavy dose of fabric softener .....when the bergen is wet id try and work the straps alittle to "free them up " so to speak :)

Tried this today its been soaking all day, they seem a little softer but still quite hard compared to my older burgen which is soft and can be squeezed with finger and thumb.
I would say the padding in the newer burgen is made of different stuff as they were both stored together and only the newer one has the problem.
On the up side it smells nice now ;) :)

Back