• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

German army mountain Bergen 80ltr review.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
German army mountain Bergen 80ltr review.

I have had the Bergen for 6 months.

For the price and quality its highly recommended!

Only issues I have is 1:
there is a lot of straps but they all serve a good purpose you could remove some and shorten some if you wanted.

2:
The 2 zips that connect each side pouches to the pack sometimes work their way an in inch down, but this can be sorted as I found out by making sure the Zips are pushed down when they are fully zipped up.

The pack is very comfortable, the 2 side pouches can be removed and zipped together to make a smaller rucksack or they can be used on their own for exellent day packs as they each have a shoulder strap.

You have a good size backpack even with the pouches removed this is a good idea and handy to split kit if your companion or kids don't have a pack with them.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm am 5'8 (pack with both side pouches removed)

image.jpeg

Full spec from military 1st:

German Army Mountain Bergen 80L

Flecktarn Camo

This sturdy top loading bergen features 5 separate compartments including 2 detachable side pockets, 1 main flap covered compartment and a large zip fastening pocket inside the top flap, secured onto the pack with 2 quick release buckles, that can be used to store documents, accessories and other quick access essentials. The main compartment with a capacity of 80 liters has an integrated compression bag closed with a drawstring at both top and bottom. It also has an additional capacity in an integrated bottom compartment with its own zipper access. This section can be used as a 'false-bottom' compartment itself for the carrying of items required for easy access.

It is worth adding that 2 detachable side pockets open with their own zippers and when detached, they can be zipped into each other to make an emergency pack or a daypack. What is more the bergen gives a possibility to attached additional equipment through 2 external adjustable quick release attachment points on the top flap, 2 external buckle fastening adjustable attachment points at rear of the top flap and a number of straps and attachment points at base and front.

The bergen has a specially shaped contoured and fully adjustable VARIO Back System. Padded shoulder straps are adjustable on the top of the shoulder and under the arm, and are fitted with additional D-rings and a chest tensioner. An extra wide quick release hip belt is also shaped to the contour of the lower back and hips. All this provides an excellent comfort and weight spread for heavy loads. The internal U frame can be removed if required.

The bergen offers a great amount of carrying space and is perfect for military as well as camping and hiking.

• Capacity: 80L
  • Bergen size: 38x22x70cm (approx.)
  • Side pockets size: 20x10x40cm (approx.)
  • Weight: 3200g
  • 5 separate compartments
  • 2 detachable side pockets
  • 1 separate compartment at the bottom
  • Internal separate compartment system
  • Internal removable U frame in back area
  • Adjustable opening and size
  • Adjustable in height padded carrying straps (VARIO Back System)
  • Adjustable padded hip belt with quick release buckle
  • Adjustable chest strap with quick release fastener
  • Material: 100% nylon
  • Water-resistant
  • Manufacturer: MFH
The pack is available from military 1st in various colour options for £60. (Link for the flecktarn version)

http://www.military1st.co.uk/30283v-german-army-mountain-bergen-80l-flecktarn.html

I have no connection to military 1st or the manufacturer.

Hi Lee how's this pack holding up now pal are you still using it? I'm seriously considering getting myself one from military 1St. is it a comfortable pack when fully loaded....along with my bushcraft I also do long hikes camping but have always been more of a fan of the bergen styled bags...does the hip belt take the weight of the shoulders...does it rub...and is it a sweaty pack? any further information you could provide would be appreciated.

MFH is a civil producer. MFH doesn't deliver to the Bundeswehr, so far I am informed. The Quality of these products is changing. It has a better name than Miltec, but is more ore less in the same area with the most products.

I would prefere a Berghaus, Carrimor or used original Bundeswehr Kampfrucksack Flecktarn 65 Liter from the surplus shop.

The Dutch army sold a lot of different backpacks in the last time. In large sizes too.

Raeer in Hildesheim offers used Berghaus Atlas Cyclops 2 and Crusader for 120 and 100 €.

One comes from the Bundeswehr, the other from the Dutch Army. Both in olive green.

If I would need a large rucksack I would buy one of them.

Hi Lee how's this pack holding up now pal are you still using it? I'm seriously considering getting myself one from military 1St. is it a comfortable pack when fully loaded....along with my bushcraft I also do long hikes camping but have always been more of a fan of the bergen styled bags...does the hip belt take the weight of the shoulders...does it rub...and is it a sweaty pack? any further information you could provide would be appreciated.

Yes still like new, no faults a good pack

It looks pretty small for an 80l. I have a 50l that has the same dimensions as that rucksack

I guess, it is 60 litres in the main bag and 2x10 litres in the side pockets. Because they sell it together they count the volume together.

Most sellers count like that.

I guess, it is 60 litres in the main bag and 2x10 litres in the side pockets. Because they sell it together they count the volume together.

Most sellers count like that.

I would say pockets are more like 15 each, the pocket connecting zips sometimes works down an inch with movement but it's no drama, it's a great pack and I use it more and prefer it more with the pockets off

What's about the seams?

Usually products of MFH have some how points, where you see big differences to original military equipment.

I just got one recently and these are my problems with the pack (note that these are most likely due to my limited experience with it)
1) there are a lot of straps that seemed a little long (cutting and fixing that was no problem)
2)the pack I was sold was missing one of the side pouches (looking for somewhere to get another woodland one)
3)the zippers to attach the side pouches are hard to use at best, the little protective flap makes it hard to connect the small pouch

Other than those three easy fixes this is an outstanding pack that balances weight naturally and haven’t had any performance problems

I know what your saying, the zips are YKK and take some getting use to as they work best undervload ;) and your right about the long straps.
Mine is going up for sale. . . Used only 3 times as above in the pics nothing broke nor missing a nice comfy pack with removable side pockets that convert to either a single or a double mini pack with their own included shoulder straps for single or double mini pack use!
Note the back and strap padding in the pics, this is a very comfortable pack!
Up for grabs at £50 recorded delivery, message me or post thanks ;)

They are YKK?

Possible that MFH really tries to do some thing against the bad image.

I believe so from memory, YKK zips are all plastic, i.e. . the zip and zipper, and the zip teeth are very chunky. . . I don't think they were copied as such as wholesale YKK zippers aren't a lot of money you tend to see jank copy packs with thin metal zips and zippers (often painted as they rust instantly lol)

Back