• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Glamping

Ratcatcher

Extremely Talkative
so after seeing a post on here about a sale at soul-pads, it got me thinking about bell tents again, I had looked at these when we first acquired our woodland, but the price tag of £390 put me off, and we opted for two DD hammocks.

anyhow had a look on evil bay a few days ago and found a sealey 400 ex demo bell tent, that had a little discoloration on the canvas due to being pitched under trees, at a buy it now price of £150, which in my eyes was too good to miss, well it arrived today, not the sort of weather to be checking it out in the garden, so just checked it out in the front room, and well happy with it,

its bloody big
bell.jpg

apart from a bit of tree sap, its in brand new condition, so looking forward to trying it out, may even try it in December rather than waiting till next year

had read another post about log burners for tents, and didn't want to go down that route, as we already have a log burner inside the marquee, so we only needed something to maybe take the chill off, but nice to make that early morning coffee too, so seeing a post there on paraffin heaters, made me do more searches on info, and I finally bit the bullet and acquired this

heater.JPG

will still keep hold of the hammocks for the moment, until all of the above has had a good test

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 154
  • heater.JPG
    heater.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 182
looks good mate. have to let us know what its like when its up. i wouldnt ever get rid of the hammocks though. i wouldnt use a hammock in the winter but theyre great for the summer, always worth holding onto

Im waiting for a nice couple of days so I can get it pitched in the garden, am not too sure whether I should try giving the canvas a clean and then waterproof or just the waterproof, I've seen a good way of drying it out after camping using a garden blower to blow air inside it with doors shut

the heater arrived yesterday, and works brilliantly, it reached 590 Fahrenheit within 4-5 minutes, which on our log burner would have taken a good half hour or more, so I can see that being a blessing, my missus loves it so we are planning a weekend at the woods the first week in December

once I had the heater I thought Id test it out, here's a short video I took of it,

heat wise it worked great, but on trying to lower the wick to shut off, found it would not travel all the way down, so emptied fuel and removed wick, to do this the winder needs to come out first, and this is what I discovered

heater repair 021.jpg

you can clearly see the teeth have worn out, long before it arrived at my house, so onto the seller, who swore blind that I had caused the damage of dismantling, so onto e bay with the pictures, and within hours had an offer of a partial refund from the seller, which I accepted, as although without this the heater is useless, with it, its a good unit, so we then did some internet searching, and an american forum gave me a makers name and serial numbers, plus where to buy new wicks, the makers are Korean, so have sent e mails asking about replacement parts, but also gave the worn item to a friends dad, who works with a metal lathe, in the hope that he can fabricate a new winder, fingers crossed I'll keep you posted

Attachments

• heater repair 021.jpg
    heater repair 021.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 103
Hi RC.

Cracking heater that is.
Shame about the winder, hope you get it sussed a.s.a.p. mate.
Thought I saw one of these on the bay the other day........Ill go have a look see.

cheers willie, crazy that I never saw that one myself, saw something similar, but when I asked if it could be used as a cooker too, they said no, yet the black top is removable and underneath is a holding plate for kettle or pot, maybe its just acceptable in korea and not here.

Ive e mailed them, although I reckon my mates dad will get it sorted

You are Welcome RC, hope you get some joy.
I suppose the cooker question relates to good old Heath & Safety :rolleyes:....just not allowed to advertise it as a cooker.

The world has gone mad mate :D

Im thinking of the above heather instead of a wood burner, whats the score with carbon monoxide and using this inside large tipi?

having now used the heater inside a small caravan, I would not used inside a tent, in the caravan with the top vent open and a rear window, I could still feel the affects of a muggy head, so a paraffin heater needs loads of ventilation, I have however gone and bought one of these, and although not tested in a tent, Im sure with an added chimney it'll be alright

Back